Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

New Indoor Gardening Shop In Planning (NH)

Old 08-03-2010, 05:41 PM

Thumbs up New Indoor Gardening Shop In Planning (NH)

I am in the planning stages of opening an indoor gardening supply store in central/eastern New Hampshire and am wondering if there is a market locally. If you would be interested in this or if you would find it useful to have a hydroponics supply center in this area please reply with feedback!

I am a young passionate horticulturist who is currently working in greenhouse and nursery maintenance. I am looking to open a indoor gardening supply shop in new hampshire so i can create a large indoor growing community there. I am eventually looking to have a full culinary growing operation going in the back of the shop to supply local markets and restaurants with fresh veggies, herbs, and possible fruits. Grown indoors, 100% organically and sustainably, all year round!

Looking to carry the following:

-Lighting and Lighting Supplies ( cooling items/ballasts/reflectors/bulbs, etc.)
-Gardening soils and Mixtures/ Other Growing Mediums ( coco/clay pellets/rock wool, etc.)
-A variety of high quality nutrients including organics
-Hydroponic Kits/ Items
-Climate Control Products
-Gardening Tools and supplies
-WHAT YOU WANT! : ) please leave feedback on what you want in my store or what you haven't liked about shops you've gone to in the past. ( for positive assessment) all requests will be considered and greatly appreciated

Thanks all,

Your Fellow Horticulturalist

Old 08-04-2010, 07:07 AM

First off I need to say I feel this thread/post is borderline spam, although I don't think it's intentional. I am not wanting to discourage anyone from trying to accomplish what was stated, and I understand the need/want for the input. But the questions are to general in nature, and too localized for a specific location.

For instance you can carry any products you want, that is not anyone elses decision but yours. On a business level, what to carry is determined best by what sells, and what is profitable for the shop owner to carry. Simply talking to your customers is how you find that out (P.S. start small and then expand from there). Now a couple of better questions would be something like, does anyone have any experience with led grow lights, and if so how do they work for you, and are they worth the money? Or another one would be, What nutrients do you use/prefer for your plants, and do they work well for you.

Bottom line, if you want a response you should ask specific questions form the entire public. This forum is not anyone's personal customer service department, or forum. So asking "please leave feedback on what you want in my store" is simply inappropriate (and could be considered spam). Also, asking if such a store would be useful in that location is kind of pointless, this being the internet 99% (if not 100%) of the users are not going to be in that location. I personally would not have any need for such a store there because I live 3000 miles away. Even if I order online, I would find a place closer to order from (if possible) to keep shipping cost down.

P.S. If you are truly interested in starting a business, and looking for input, as well as ideas, you can send me a private message. I think I would be able to help give some ideas on that.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:57 AM

Just thought I would say thanks for sending the private message, and I'm now convinced this was not an attempt to spam the forum. Although like I mentioned, more specific questions will make it much easier for people to give useful advice. Look forward to helping, I always like to hear about people starting a hydroponic business. I also hope you will be able to share what you have learned in the process, in order to help others from your experiences. After all, that's what forums are about in my book (to help others from your experiences, and learn from theirs).

P.S. I didn't ask this in my reply to your private message, but do you have any experience with hydroponics. I only ask because it would probably make a diffidence in some of the questions you may ask. From what you said, you work for a nursery, so I assume you have experience with plants in general.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 08-05-2010 at 04:53 AM.