Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

help!

Old 11-24-2009, 05:17 PM

Default help!

i'm just getting started out for the first time. any recommendations of brands of nutrients and any specific types of additives is should try?

Old 11-24-2009, 06:15 PM

Just starting out myself, so I don't have a lot of background with various brands or anything like that. However, the guy at one of our local hydroponic shops here in town turned me on to one of the Technaflora "Recipie for Success Starter Kits". Basically a little starter sample pack that contains the various main nurtients and suppliments Technaflora provides. Seems to be working out well for me thus far, but I don't really have anything to compare it against. And as far as I can tell from internet research I've done, Technaflora seems to be a fairly well respected brand as well. So, might not be all that helpful to you, but I can at least give Technaflora a thumbs up from my personal and somewhat limited use so far.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordstanleyscup View Post
i'm just getting started out for the first time. any recommendations of brands of nutrients and any specific types of additives is should try?
I have only used the General Hydroponics Flora Series nutrients myself, they are probably the most widely used nutrients on the market. They are not the cheapest on the market, but they will give you good results. For someone just starting out in hydroponics you probably want to eliminate as many possible problems as you can. That's not saying other products are not as good, just that the Flora series nutrients will work for sure.

It takes all 3 (Gro, Micro and Bloom) mixed in the nutrient solution to work properly. The Flora series nutrients don't really require additives. You want to make sure that the water in the system is good quality water (no mater what nutrients you use). Your tap water might have large amounts of unwanted elements in it (chlorine, iron, calcium etc.). We have very hard water here in Lake Havasu with lots of iron especially. General Hydroponics does have a special formula for hard water (Flora Micro Hardwater), but it's best to use good quality water to start with if possible. If you choose to go another route I would suggest to stay away from dry nutrients. It's my understanding they are less reliable because they don't mix and dissolve as completely, and may not give the best results.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:38 PM

A lot of the Hydro-nutrients work well, especially or veggies.
Some types of plants will do better with some, but in general, they will all work if you follow their instructions. A lot of time I talk to people and availability plays more the part when it comes to what they use.
For Example...If you can drive a short distance and get General Products, use those, if it's something else, use that. IF your growing a specialty plant that needs a little more of something else then the other, check to see what the products have for information on the specific plant your working with.
Personally, I use the dry mixes, as long as I keep them dry they last indefinitely. I can get specified products, or General use products that will work on most all my different projects/grow. If I wind up with issues using it, I can get whatever other supplement needed and mix it different the next time.