Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Lettuce question

Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 AM

Default Lettuce question

I finally got my first hydro gardening experiment up and running. Basically an aerating bubbler system. It has 9 pots in a styrofoam raft and 480 wequivalent Full Spectrum cfl's (across 2 bulbs)

I used Rapid Rooters which fit quite nicely in the 2" net pot. Now , I was under the assumption that 60-70F was good temperature with a drop down to 55F at "night". What I didn't consider was the germination process. Now I read somewhere that lettuce germination should take place with water temps in the 40's.

1 plant has emerged with some tiny little strong looking leaves. I can see a few other seeds that are morphing. A few others are too difficult too see due to the depth of the Rapid Rooters. I'm wondering should I drop the water temp down ? I've been maintaining it was an aquarium heater. Otherwise the natural temp is about 60F.

This is now the 4th day since planting.

TIA
Stuart

Old 02-10-2010, 09:56 AM

I'm in the same boat as you, starting in Hydroponics.. I live in Puerto Rico, so our temps are no were close to 60-70 and my lettuce seeds germinated in like 5-6 days...

They are a little slow but they germinate... mines are up and running ... just waiting till they are ready to transplant
Old 02-10-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardomachado View Post
just waiting till they are ready to transplant
why transplant ? How did you start them ?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:29 PM

I start mine in peat pellets and have had no problem with them. I started spinach last fall by direct sowing them in the hydroton, I just sprinkled them on top and let the E&F do the rest.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigatec View Post
I start mine in peat pellets and have had no problem with them. I started spinach last fall by direct sowing them in the hydroton, I just sprinkled them on top and let the E&F do the rest.
So many variations. These Rapid Rooters are pretty deep, like I said they fill the entire 2" net pot. I think there are some things brewing slightly below a place my eyes can really get a good look at.
The medium itself drank up nearly a gallon of water from 9 of them.

Last edited by stuartambient; 02-10-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 PM

The thing ti remember about the peat pellets is go very easy on the water, you will kill your seeds easily with to much water.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
The thing ti remember about the peat pellets is go very easy on the water, you will kill your seeds easily with to much water.
Well I will wait and see. We're on day 5. I guess whatever doesn't appear in a few more days is lost ?
Old 02-11-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I wonder if I did kill my seeds. Hard to tell, but one has been coming along, stretching out 2 leaves. A few others are hard too see but there might be germination going on. Is it okay to left the net pot out of the solution and inspect ?

Stuart
Old 04-14-2010, 06:58 PM

I would start the seeds in the grow cubes in a warm nursery flat, then transplant them to the raft when roots start growing through the cube. 40 degrees is too cold, keep the nutrient solution in the 60s-70's. As long as the ambient temp is cool too, you should have no problem growing lettuce this way.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella View Post
I would start the seeds in the grow cubes in a warm nursery flat, then transplant them to the raft when roots start growing through the cube. 40 degrees is too cold, keep the nutrient solution in the 60s-70's. As long as the ambient temp is cool too, you should have no problem growing lettuce this way.
I did this on the 2nd go around and it's working good now.

Thank you,
Stuart