Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

looking for seed sources

Old 01-17-2010, 07:38 AM

Default looking for seed sources

Wondering if any of you have a good online vendor for buying seeds. I'm currently interested (just starting out) in vegetables and perhaps some flowers soon. I found Park Seed: Seeds and plants for vegetable, flower, annual and perennial gardening. and they have a huge selection on a pretty well laid out site but they also seem to have a fair amount of negative reviews against them. I'll continue to search but hope someone has some suggestions.

Thank you,
Stuart

Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 AM

Park's Seed would not be my first choice for seed. I have used and had good luck with Henry Field.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to watercatwn6535nd
Default seed pals

Back a few years ago people were sharing seeds and mailing them to each other. its not that big a deal but it was fun. a stamp and envelpoe and a couple seeds in it would get you some great varietys. i use to do clones in zip lock bags as well. get a few roots on one and drop it in the amil it would be fine. great way to try different stuff.
i have tons of seeds i have bought over the years i usuallu only do two seeds at a time unless its a radish or root plant. takes me years it seems to use a whole packet of seeds.

when your buyng seeds make sure there self pollinating to save that hassle. i have tomatoes right now i'm not sure about and the idea of brusing the flowers every couple days sucks. i dont have a commercial plant vibrator but i was thinking of using just a good old fashion vibrator on high and hope it pollinates or chips a tooth on the VF 100 girls.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watercatwn6535nd View Post
Back a few years ago people were sharing seeds and mailing them to each other. its not that big a deal but it was fun. a stamp and envelpoe and a couple seeds in it would get you some great varietys. i use to do clones in zip lock bags as well. get a few roots on one and drop it in the amil it would be fine. great way to try different stuff.
i have tons of seeds i have bought over the years i usuallu only do two seeds at a time unless its a radish or root plant. takes me years it seems to use a whole packet of seeds.
What is the deal on radishes and root plants ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by watercatwn6535nd View Post
when your buyng seeds make sure there self pollinating to save that hassle. i have tomatoes right now i'm not sure about and the idea of brusing the flowers every couple days sucks. i dont have a commercial plant vibrator but i was thinking of using just a good old fashion vibrator on high and hope it pollinates or chips a tooth on the VF 100 girls.
Since your last few sentences make no sense to me perhaps it would do me good to learn the hard way. Thank you though, I will bear this advice in mind.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Since your last few sentences make no sense to me perhaps it would do me good to learn the hard way. Thank you though, I will bear this advice in mind.
Well, busing the flowers every couple of days refers to hand pollinating. That is usually done with a tiny soft paint brush, like the kind your kids use with their water coloring sets. You would lightly brush each flower one by one as they open, to simulate a bees travels from one flower to another, taking the pollen with it.

There are commercial vibrators for plants. This vibrator is usually attached to the base of the plant, and this vibration shakes the pollen loose from the flowers. The pollen is then taken by the air currents to the other flowers to pollinate them. A personal or hand operated vibrator strapped to the plant may work in place of the commercial plant vibrators. This method may be harder to control because you don't really have control of the air currents, but in an enclosed room the pollen does not have too many places to go. If you are growing outside you probably wont have need too do either, because mother nature will take care of it for you.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:43 PM

I grow giant pumpkins every year, and I always hand pollenate them, it's a bit more invovled then that, but it's the olny way to ensure you polleneated every seed in the female.

With tomatoes just a good shaking will do the trick as both the male and female parts are both in the flower.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:47 PM

Default vibrator

I'm mostly kidding, cant help but find reasons to pull and pry and reach into the plants to trim them. I do grow inside and have used bumble bees in the past just for a little extra fun. a 50 bee hive is cheap. I see lots of peole plant one cherry tomatoe inside from wally world and they dont know to pollinate and they get fruit. Doesnt take much but i really like the idea of a you tube video on the proper operation of vibrating the girls in the room. instead of getting 26 veiws maybe i can get 26k veiws. bring some of these people from the dark side to grwoing there own food.

Sorry about the spelling my pecking at the key board is herrific at best. Good to see some people know there stuff here and are not trying to cross breed venus fly traps with giant marijuanna plants to get high and have some type of grow room security at the same time.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigatec View Post
I grow giant pumpkins every year, and I always hand pollenate them, it's a bit more invovled then that, but it's the olny way to ensure you polleneated every seed in the female.

With tomatoes just a good shaking will do the trick as both the male and female parts are both in the flower.
Sorry for the derail here, but whats the largest you have grown?
I found some seeds for sale from a 1300 pound pumpkin, I was really thinking of buying them however i am not 100% sure what I would do with a large pumpkin of that size so I did not buy them.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:25 PM

Default growing bug stuff

I think we may have all lost the fair idea. my grand parents took all there best stuff to the faur every year to be judged. this year i am taking some plants there but instead of harvesting them i am going to take them alive to the fair and show them off while there still growing.

Not only can you show some great plants off but you can show how easy it is to have a hydro system indoors or out. a gallon bucket and fish tank pump is all you need. just go deep water while your there. they should have plug some where for you.

I have a book on growing giant pumpkins in the dirt and there are some techniques they use like only letting 3 or 4 start and what ever is the biggest cut the others off and go with it. he talks about keeing the soil water enough for the plants to grow fast enough. HYDRO MY GOOD MAN CURES THIS I SAY.

generaly there is only a couple uses for growing giant pumkins. the first is obviuos its makes you neighbor (BOB) wipe that smile of his face with his enlarged stuff. and of course the second is to keep the wife in.

What stopped me this year from hydroing my pumpkins is i wasnt sure how to hold them? i was thinking of a tripod of sorts and placing the fruit in a giant fishing net that could hold the weight as well as let it breath. but i wondered if this would alter the shape and it would not look like a pumpkin. I was afraid of setting it on the ground becuase of rot? but thats how they gro i just thought when they get this big the dynamics change. the tripod was to also let me back the truck under it.

one thing i'm sure of you should probably pallet the beast when it first starts so that you can get fork lift to set it in the truck or on the front porch.

There is something very manly about firing up the chain saw to carve the pumkin in the front drive way. seems it really seperates the boys from the men when it comes to gardening. drop in a candle (please) drop in about 5k candle power in a 250 watt hid to give it some penetration so it glows like a small pumpkin does. maybe even better is your propane weed burner cranked up in there. Now where cooking.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:34 PM

In Epcot they use parachute cord to hold their 1000+ pound pumpkins.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 PM

Here is my 685 lber from last year, this is my best so far. The World record 1725 lbs.

Do you happen to know the names of the 1300 seeds?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Republic WO_37_2.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	525  
Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Default radishes carrot answer

[QUOTE= i usuallu only do two seeds at a time unless its a radish or root plant. takes me years it seems to use a whole packet of seeds.

QUOTE]

Usually with soe light minipulation and the right feeding you can get most plants in doors to go for more than a yera in afruit cycle i have gone two years before. most plants product tell they see frost. since my grow room wont ever freeze they dont know anythnig but the fact its middle of summer and the conditions are perfect. so when i say i only use two seeds its becuase i only plant two of each plant usually. but if its a radishh or carrot type of plant since they grow out on 25 days to harvest i go through many more packets of these seeds.

but i'm after ever bearing tomoatoes right now and have 13 plants going looking for the best ones to work with. as well as i just ordering some strawberrys that i have plans for grwoing up my lights and creating a masive ever bearing strawberry.

for instances if you had a tomotoe out side and it was at the end of the season you could bring it dooors and cut off the top 1/3rd give it two weeks of 24 hour light and be back in business. plants will only do this two or three times. so you can see if ther not stressed they have no reason to die.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigatec View Post
Here is my 685 lber from last year, this is my best so far. The World record 1725 lbs.

Do you happen to know the names of the 1300 seeds?
I think they are a Dill's Atlantic breed.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:09 PM

Yep Alantic Giants.