Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Working a concept: feedback appreciated

Old 04-13-2013, 07:21 PM

Default Working a concept: feedback appreciated

Basic Info: We have access to a 300,000 sq ft warehouse with it's own hydro electric plant ( super cheap electricity) as well as it's own well.The warehouse ( an old mill building ) is in a suburban/almost rural area of Massachusetts( town population 10K) within a short drive to major urban population basis. I can probably get gross rents ( includes heat/electric/taxes ) at $3/ft/yr with the ability to provide "micro" spaces of 500-100,2000 sq ft. or large spaces at 50,000 sq ft or more ( the mill is empty )
Concept that I'm "toying with": Basically creating an indoor community garden, year round.

On an initial basis, I would like to keep things cheap and simple ( let things develop and let the group decide it's future...ie: coops, more advanced systems, etc

So: couple initial questions: if the systems were BASIC (ie: lighting/water/beds) how much space would an average family of 4 use? 500 sq ft? 1,000 sq ft?

If the cost is $3/ft/year...can there be a return to the family on production VS buying at the market?

What are your thoughts on this concept?

Next: eventually, we have access to fairly large wholesale contracts to purchase the produce...pretty much whatever can be produced can be sold locally at wholesale prices.....our base cost is $3/ft..plus..shipping/manpower/etc....what are the economics?

Thoughts? feedback? Again, this is just an initial thought process. Wondering if it has legs!

Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 AM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

Sounds like an awesome opportunity! Sounds like there is a lot to work out. My only experience with community gardens is what my local Master Gardeners are currently doing. I suggest you start there as they will have more of an idea about how much space it takes to feed a family but keep in mind you can grow much more densely in hydro and it will not take as much space as traditional gardening.

There are lots of ideas floating a round to keep hydro cheap; you don't have to purchase a big elaborate systems. You can repurpose items to build easy, functional systems like barrels, pipes, totes, storage containers, kiddie pools and even bathtubs.

Check out YouTube and members pictures to get some great ideas!