Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Hydro pumpkins

Old 03-25-2014, 11:06 PM

Default Hydro pumpkins

Hello, I grow pumpkins every year... Atleast I trie. This year I was on YouTube a saw some people growing pumpkins on hydroponic systems. I figured I would try it. I had my plant in the system for about a week and showed no sign of stress when it was moved into the system. Yesterday the big 1st real leaf went limp and today the other two wen limp and now the whole plant is limp I pulled it out and it had very few roots. I put a new plant in with a lot of roots and was wondering if there is anything I can do to help this plant have the best survival. I did have one root type of fertilizer I put in the water. I had 20 gallons and it said 1 table spoon for each gallon but thought that was a lot so I put in 10 table spoons. If anyone has help at all it would be great.
Thanks

Old 03-26-2014, 05:23 AM

Hello, Hydro pumpkins

1. How are you starring the seedlings, and transplanting them?
2. What type of system are you growing them in?
3. How did you construct it?
4. Do you have any pictures of the system and the plants?????
5. What is the temperatures (air and water)?
6. Did you transplant them from a more shaded area to a more full sun area?
7. Are you saying the plants now have less roots than when you transplanted them? What color are the roots?
8. What kind of water are you using for your water supply?
9. what type of growing media are you using?
10 what kind of watering cycle are you giving them?
11. what type of nutrients are you using, and do you have a link to it.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Hello, Hydro pumpkins

1. How are you starring the seedlings, and transplanting them?
2. What type of system are you growing them in?
3. How did you construct it?
4. Do you have any pictures of the system and the plants?????
5. What is the temperatures (air and water)?
6. Did you transplant them from a more shaded area to a more full sun area?
7. Are you saying the plants now have less roots than when you transplanted them? What color are the roots?
8. What kind of water are you using for your water supply?
9. what type of growing media are you using?
11. what type of nutrients are you using, and do you have a link to it.

1. I started my pumpkin in peet pellets and then put it in jiffy cardboard pots then transplanted them by washing dirt off of it and filling pellets around roots until it was at the top.

2/3. I have a homage hydroponic system I made with a 36 gallon plastic container I got at Walmart and used a dremel to cut the dimensions of the net container. I got a water pump to pump water up to the roots instead of water filled to the top, it has a air pump for when roots dangle into water I can get them air.

4. Cannot get any pics at this time

5. Air is 64 degrees farenhiet and water temp is unknown

6. The sun was the same.

7. The plant had the same amount of roots but weren't growing like the roots on my other pumpkin plants.

8. I used water from our sink.

9. What do u mean by growing media?

10. The water is continuously all night

11. I use miracle grow root growth formula and It was recemended when I read an article on hydroponic pumpkins online.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:45 AM

Hello Exploding pumpkin,
I'm sorry it took so long for me to reply. I have been sick most of the week, as well as trying to get other things done that needed to get done.

Quote:
1. I started my pumpkin in peet pellets and then put it in jiffy cardboard pots then transplanted them by washing dirt off of it and filling pellets around roots until it was at the top.
I'm not sure why you started them in soil if you started them from seeds. But are you sure you got enough of the soil off the roots without damaging them much? Also no mater how much soil your able to wash off, there is always a chance of soil born pathogens being transfers into the hydro system.

Quote:
2/3. I have a homage hydroponic system I made with a 36 gallon plastic container I got at Walmart and used a dremel to cut the dimensions of the net container. I got a water pump to pump water up to the roots instead of water filled to the top, it has a air pump for when roots dangle into water I can get them air.
I'm not familiar with a "homage hydroponic system." I was referring to which one of the six types of hydroponic systems there are. From your description, I really can't tell much of anything about the specifics I'm looking for. I really need to see some pictures to understand the details about your system (a picture is worth 1000 words). If I am guessing right you built a combination aeroponic/water culture type system. But don't know any details, and have a hunch you may be suffocating the roots.

Quote:
Air is 64 degrees farenhiet and water temp is unknown
64 is low for air temp, and would slow plant growth. Water temp is real important to keep track of. You can get a cheep glass fish tank thermometer at walmart for about $2. But if the air temp is 64 all day and night, the water temp will probably be about the same. 64 for water temp is low also, but not bad.

Quote:
7. The plant had the same amount of roots but weren't growing like the roots on my other pumpkin plants.
What other pumpkin plants? If the other pumpkin plants are in soil, how can you see the roots? What exactly is different, and are all the plants the same age, and growing in the same exact environmental conditions?

Quote:
8. I used water from our sink.
Is this "NOT" filtered water, and just straight tap water? If so you should be using a good filtered water?

Quote:
9. What do u mean by growing media?
Growing media is what takes place of soil to support the plant in hydroponics. It sounds like you might be using grow rocks (Hydrocorn) after you transplanted into the system.

Quote:
Again, I would need to see some pictures of the system, and how you have it set up to make sure you weren't suffocating the roots.

Quote:
11. I use miracle grow root growth formula and It was recemended when I read an article on hydroponic pumpkins online.
I did a search for those nutrients and didn't find anything that exactly matched that name. To the best of my knowledge miracle grow doesn't make any nutrients suitable for use in hydroponics. They may have come out with a new line I am not aware of, but I didn't find anything using the term "miracle grow root growth formula." You would need to post a link to what it is your using so I can see and research it.

P.S. I forgot to ask if you were checking the pH, and what the pH is at, and if it fluctuates.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:07 PM

When I said other pumpkin plants, I grew multiple plants to use the best. The best had the least roots. But it doesn't matter. I decided to grow some in wet paper towels. They grew and didn't have room. I just stuck them in water my bamboo plant was in and they grew fine. The first one I put in and it died. It turned out I. Got the fertilizer correct... But I was only suposed to water it with fertilizer once every week. I cleaned out the system and got a lot of spring water and used that instead. Finally that plant grew. Untill my baby German Shepard thought it was a good idea to step on the system and killed the plant as well as ruining the system.. But thanks for the help