Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

My First System - DIY Ebb & Flow

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2011, 08:53 PM

Default My First System - DIY Ebb & Flow

Hello All -

I'm new to the forum and new to hydroponics. I used the information you have generously posted to this forum to build my first ebb & flow system. I figured I would post a few pictures as a bit of a thank you to you all.

This first picture is of the entire system. Sorry it is a little dark. I took these with my tablet which doesn't have a great flash. As you can see it is a simple 27 gal storage bin with a smaller flood tank. I used a 130 gph pump and a simple round air stone.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1315527513297.jpg
Views:	1406
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1629

This next picture is a close up of the flood tank. I chose to use the expanded clay pellets in 4" baskets. This worked out perfect as the nutrient solution just reaches the top of the media at full flood. I plan to use spacers to lift the baskets up a bit once the plants get a little bigger. You can also see in the picture that I am using T5 lighting at this point. It has 6500K bulbs installed in it. I will probably get a few more as I add more plants.

Name:	1315527572338.jpg
Views:	1260
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1630

Finally, the first sprouts of leaf lettuce. I have 7 seedlings so far in two of the baskets. I actually germinated these in a Tupperware container in toilet paper and then transferred them to the basket once the root was exposed. I had pretty good success with this method as 7 of the 10 seeds started actually germinated. The seedlings have made the transition to the system quite well. After only 2 days in the media, I can see that the roots are growing down and already are providing enough support to allow the stem and leaves to reach for the light.

Name:	1315527624066.jpg
Views:	1762
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1631

I am using Cocos A & B as my nutrient solution. This was recommended by the locale hydroponic shop. I have a few questions on the usage of this solution, but I will ask them in the nutrient forum.

Anyway, not bad for about a week of research, a day of construction & two days of operation. All thanks to the info you share on this site. I will update my progress in a few weeks.

Thanks
GoodGilligan