Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

Coco chips

Old 03-11-2009, 10:42 PM

Question Coco chips

I am using some Coco chips with the geolite for more mass as well as water retention but I have noticed that the water turns a darker color over time. I wasn't expecting that even though I rinsed both well before planting. My question is does the coco chips leave anything in the water that might be a problem?

Old 03-12-2009, 11:58 AM

Default Coco Loco

Coco fiber (or fibre if your imperial ) Is a great Hydroponic medium. But, like almost everything, a few caveats to bear in mind. First it’s organic, which I mean as the two primary functions of Chemistry (organic and inorganic) NOT the pesticide free and earth friendly term of arte "organic" that’s tossed around everywhere. A lot of coco fiber, well, comes from where coconuts are grown and processed (think S.E. Asia, Sri Lanka, or Middle or South America). It is often processed in raw seawater. So it’s best to make sure your coco is sterilized (most processors do this). Also would be a good idea to soak it in clean, fresh water prior to application to remove any salts, etc. Now, back to the organic...it is an organic (living/once living) medium. It will eventually decompose. This could cause several issues, the simplest amongst them, a brownish tinge to the nutrient solution from very small particles becoming suspended in the solution (think stirring up a mud puddle). None of the issues with coco are typically problematic enough to not use it. It has excellent specific density and keeps roots moist and happy. Personally, I use Hydroton Pellets. They are pH neutral, sterile and most of all they do not decompose (i.e., useable forever). Other than that, as always, monitor pH and TDS, oxegenate and you should be fine. I use coco-peet (a finally ground coco material) for all my plant starts/cloning. it seems to work better than Grodan Rockwool and as a bonus its a heck of a lot cheaper. Matt- hydroponica.blogspot.com

Last edited by Mathmattx; 03-12-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:52 AM

I have a similar problem during the test run of my drip system with plain water. The coco coir tints the water a deep dark brown but very clear (no turbidity).

Anyone else experienced this and their implications whether the plants love it or not or dont care at all.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:42 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
I have a similar problem during the test run of my drip system with plain water. The coco coir tints the water a deep dark brown but very clear (no turbidity).

Anyone else experienced this and their implications whether the plants love it or not or dont care at all.
After I noticed the dark tint to the nutrient solution to my bell peppers I decided to soak the chips real well and rinse and I did this tell about 5 times before I transplanted my strawberry into the chips. I think it still added some color to the nutrient solution but at this point I don't think it is a problem because it is organic and most importantly my strawberry's are looking very healthy with dark green glossy looking leaves after almost 2 weeks.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
After I noticed the dark tint to the nutrient solution to my bell peppers I decided to soak the chips real well and rinse and I did this tell about 5 times before I transplanted my strawberry into the chips. I think it still added some color to the nutrient solution but at this point I don't think it is a problem because it is organic and most importantly my strawberry's are looking very healthy with dark green glossy looking leaves after almost 2 weeks.
Thats great! I also noticed the tint lightening after about a week and a half of continuous test run. I guess the tinting wont last forever.