Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Broccoli

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2009, 07:41 PM

Default Broccoli

I plan on Growing Broccoli when the weather cools down here. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with growing Broccoli? As far as I can tell it's quite a large plant. So before I build the system I want to make sure it will be able to accommodate a plant that size. I am considering a 3-5 gallon bucket because I think it will need the root space. I also think it will be able to keep the plant from being top heavy thought its growing cycle.

I am also wondering what to expect in the way of production. I have never grown Broccoli, so I don't know how much Broccoli I should expect from a healthy plant? I understand once you top off the first Broccoli head it is supposed to continue trying to grow more flowers. I also understand that it is a cool weather plant and it grows bigger Broccoli heads when it is cool, but when the weather warms up they flower faster and before they have a chance to get large. I am also assuming that it will be a heavy feeder?