Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Greenhouse!!!

Old 05-26-2013, 05:28 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a
Default Greenhouse!!!

So I have a pretty good idea of what I want to build. Can I get some input of a good supplier for the pieces and parts. I will need plastic and blower fan (for double layer of plastic), wiggle wire and the base, and a duct fan. I'm looking for best price, quality products and good customer service. Free shipping would be a bonus also. I have looked at a lot of places on-line but you never know till you ask... 1, 2, 3, go!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:27 PM

Free shipping with orders over $25, or free 2 day shipping if you have Amazon Prime (which is amazing btw)

Warp Brothers 6CH20-C 6 Mil Clear Plastic Sheeting, 20-Foot by 25-Foot - 42.99/each - Rated 4.2/5 Stars

Quote:
Plastic sheeting
Extra heavy-duty
Moisture-proof clear
Super tough, resists abrasion
6 mil thickness
Old 05-27-2013, 01:21 AM

Hello fintuckyfarms,
If you want your greenhouse to last, you want to use a poly plastic that has UV inhibitors. But if you don't care if it has UV inhibitors you can use regular construction plastic that you can get at the hardware store like this: Blue Hawk 20-ft x 100-ft Construction Film. You can get a 20x100 foot roll of 6mil thick for under $100, and they sell smaller rolls too. The construction plastic is the same thing as what you get from greenhouse supply stores, but the stuff from greenhouse supply stores have UV inhibitors (protection). That not only helps keep temperatures down inside your greenhouse, but wont break down and need to be replaced every year.

Here is the stuff I used: Stock Clear Greenhouse Film, 6mil, it cost me a bit more especially because of shipping. But worth the extra cost. We don't have any greenhouse supply shops in the area, so I needed to have it shipped. They also have a Double Layer greenhouse film. If your needing batten tape too, this is the cheapest I found and what I used on my greenhouse: All Purpose Batten Strips, I got the 1,500 foot roll. For greenhouse supply's, the two places I usually go through are either Greenhouse Megastore or Farmtek.

You can get inline duct fans at Lowe's and Home Depot. I find the best selection and prices on them at Lowe's. The down side is they don't carry them on the shelf in the store here, but on the up side if you take a print out of the one you want, or at least give them the item and model number, they can look it up and will have it shipped to the store free.

SUNCOURT 4-in x 6-in Galvanized Duct
SUNCOURT 6-in x 6-in Galvanized Duct
SUNCOURT 6-in x 8-in Galvanized Duct
Suncourt Two Speed Professional 10 in. In-Line Duct Fan

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 05-27-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:45 AM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

Thanks for the ideas, yes I want the 6 mil Polly with both the prism effect to diffuse the light evenly and the Anti condensation treatment. So GPS Frontier can you e-mail me the "specs" of the geothermal air conditioning you ended up with. What size fan did you use? Starting with a 10 x 20 greenhouse but have room to expand in both directions in the future.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:25 AM

I didn't wright any specs down of what I built. But I know the specs you need to know to make it work. On the down side, if you want to expand the system you need to either build the underground part as large as you think you will need it, or build multiple systems as you expand. Either way I can help you with the specifics, as well as help you avoid the mistakes I made. First Step is to calculate the air volume (cubic feet) of the space you need cooled (length, by width, by height). Then you can size the system (cfm output) you need. I think I still have your E-mail address, and will try and e-mail you tomorrow night.