Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Square net pots?

Old 11-24-2013, 06:47 PM

Default Square net pots?

Are there square net pots? I have seen larger ones - about 1 gallon size, or half gallon size. The reason I ask is that if I used square net pots I could put more plants in the same space. I know that root size might be an issue...is there some way to train roots to grow downwards rather than fanning out? Maybe by causing more flow in the nutrient - having deeper pots and more current?

Old 11-25-2013, 11:00 AM

Why could you fit more plants in the same space by using square vs round net pots?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:18 PM

My thinking is that all of the space could be utilized. A square that has the same area as a circle has a smaller side than the diameter of a circle. Unless the round pots were all pushed together with minimal space between them. I will try to draw a diagram of what I mean.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:57 PM

All your going to do by trying to push them as close together as you can is crowd them. The foliage needs space to grow.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:27 AM

What about root crops like radishes, beets and carrots, that have little foilage?
Old 11-26-2013, 05:11 AM

Root crops have just as much foliage as any other plant. They need the foliage (leaves) to do photosynthesis. Without enough foliage they can't do the photosynthesis needed to produce the the chemical changes needed to develop the root crops. Regardless if it's a root crop, or above ground fruit crops, they both need enough foliage to do the photosynthesis needed to produce the fruit (above ground or below it).
Old 11-26-2013, 11:24 AM

There are well known and published spacing figures for plants to grow optimally. Crowding them in will not give you the best yield, or even not fruit/produce at all.

Hydroponics isnt about super-density, its about being more efficient with the space you have - which sometimes means a tomato plant being 18" away from its nearest neighbor, etc.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:06 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

Plants also need plenty of air flow to prevent disease and mold in the foliage. If you plan on planting close you better get a fan on the plants.