Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Where do you get your seeds?

Old 06-03-2011, 01:08 AM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a
Default Where do you get your seeds?

So I searched the threads and could not find any relating to where everybody gets their seeds from. Is it best to try local seeds or order on-line? The only real specific information I can find regarding hydroponics is with tomato plants where they suggested using bushing or patio varieties. So is there one best company? Is there really a huge difference in taste if I buy the heirloom varieties? I am looking to try out a large variety of plants from herbs, salad veggies and strawberries to eventually experimenting with root veggies.

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 06-03-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:57 PM

I got my seed's locally, but that was more because i am new to the whole hydroponic thing and didn't wanna spend much money on something i figured i'd kill soon. LOL
Old 06-04-2011, 08:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to ovendoctor
Thumbs up this is were I get ours

Baker Creek Heirloom seeds - 1400 heirloom garden seeds!

been dealing with them for many years and totally satisified

Doc.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:12 PM

I always get my seeds from a variety of sources - local stores, online companies, and many from my personal stock that I save from year to year. One of my favorite seed sources is Fedco - a co-op from Maine; their seeds are relatively cheaply priced because they don't spend ungodly amounts of money on advertising.

Regarding what fintuckyfarms said about tomatoes, I think just about any cultivar will thrive hydroponically. I myself grow both determinate (bush) and indeterminate (vining) varieties outdoors, but I stick with determinate indoors because they are more manageable. Here is a list of some of the popular (commercial) greenhouse varieties used for hydroponic production:
Beefsteak: Trust, Quest, Match, Blitz, Geronimo
Cherry: Favorita, Conchita
Cocktail: Picolino (red), Flavorino (plum)
Truss (Cluster): Locarno (yellow), DRK 902 (orange), Tradiro (red), Ambiance (red)

Seldom are these varieties offered in mainstream seed catalogs, for good reason - they can be VERY expensive. I personally stick with a nice mix of heirloom and cheaper hybrid seeds.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:08 PM

Hi....I still think the best is to go to a lowes, Home depot, etc and buy vegetables that they have started. I bring them home rinse off the roots and set them in my deep water system and then transplant them to dutch buckets. I have started from seed as well many times, but the above way always works out best for me. As far a root crops? That is something I did last year and it worked out great! I grew onions in coco coir in a 15 gal,. tub from Walmart and they were great. I put holes in the bottom sides filled it with coco and clay pellets took my sets and planted them and they grew great. PH at about 6.0 and gave them just plain water every 5th day.I have tried all kinds of stuff. Good luck