Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

Non-Circulating (Kratky) Hydro Nutrients?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2014, 03:33 PM

Default Non-Circulating (Kratky) Hydro Nutrients?

Hello all,

I am just starting to build my first hydro setup in my laundry room and almost ready to begin growing but there are still some questions I have ,mostly regarding nutrients.

The system I set up is non-circulating, commonly known as the Kratky method. There are no airstones or pumps needed, simply mix nutrients into resevoir and maybe top them off if the nutrient solution gets too low. This is very appealing to me as I want to keep the costs of growing as low as possible. I am also going to use led lighting.

I assumed that any nutrient solution used for DWC style setup would work for a non-circulating system as well. I also would like to stick with organic nutes. So I bought some General Hydroponics Organic BioThrive nutes at the local hydro store, and the owner there expressed some concern that using organic nutrients in stagnet water might be more prone to becoming anerobic or ????? It also says on the bottle that for hydro applications an airstone should be used but not why.

I suppose my main questions is; whats the best way to keep my water/nutrients, and resevoir clean and avoid pathogens in a non-circulating system?

I havent found much info on using organic nutes with a non-circulating system, so if any of you have some insight or links it would be much appreciated! I am totally new to hydroponics and have done a lot of research but will take all the wisdom I can get! Thanks!

Last edited by wilder; 12-01-2014 at 05:56 PM.