Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

Squash

Old 07-03-2009, 12:54 PM

Default Squash

I planted squash in my ebb and flow system. They're beautiful plants with huge leaves and a ton of flowering branches. My problem is that after the flowering stage, I get nothing. The branch starts to wither and die. My TDS is anywhere from 1640 to 1740. I keep the PH in the range of 5.5-6.1 I also have cumcumbers, tomatoes, green beans and green chili. I'm just wondering if my TDS is not too high for the squash. I change out the nutrient solution every two weeks and use distilled water. I'm not sure how to get those flowering plants to produce something. Any recommendations?

Last edited by RenettaHogan; 07-03-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:37 PM

Default Just a word..

I'm a newb to both growing/veggies and hydro, so I'm basically just saying "Hi" here.. :-)

My first squash is this year in soil, but I got a lot of flowers that bloomed
& died quickly, and then a smaller amount that bloomed & became squash. My daughter tells me there are males & females?? I forget which she said was which. Sorry. Newb.

Are you maybe off in your post about TDS by about 10000? I'm just starting hydro, but G.H. Flora nutrients (for example) are talking in the 1250 to 1450 TDS range for their mixes, but like I said, I'm a newb. so I'm learning.

Last edited by JD4x4; 07-03-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:59 PM

Oh I did get carried away with digits, didn't I. I'm going to be patient then because my plant has had a lot of blooms that just withered and died. I'm new too, so I'm not much in the know when it comes to determining what will produce. Thank you and welcome from one newb to another.
PS-I researched the difference between male and female plants. I've already begun the process of cross pollinating. Wish me luck.

Last edited by RenettaHogan; 07-03-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:31 AM

Default Male and Female flowers

I happened across this about squash on the NCSU web site at http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/pdf/hil-24-a.pdf ...

"Under certain environmental conditions and with certain cultivars, female blossoms may be present and open before male blossoms. Without available pollen from male blossoms, fruit will not set. This situation will typically correct itself within a few days when male blossoms begin to open in conjunction with female blossoms."

I guess the boys & girls in your area are just like those in mine, always on different schedules! Good luck with the pollination. By the way, the above fact sheet recommends that if you don't have enough bees around .. bring in some more. Don't think I'm going THAT far. :-)