Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

Newbie nutrient question

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2011, 05:46 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a
Default Newbie nutrient question

Hi all, I am a complete newbie still doing research for my first system. I am slightly confused by all the information out there on nutrients. My question is this; if in aquaponics there is no additives only the fish waste is used, why is hydroponic nutrients so complex? Is there not one product that will meet all of my plants needs no matter what is in my system? I completly get that adding additives may produce better results, but if I had a regular soil garden would I not just use one nutrient solution like miracle grow? Can somebody please help me understand why I need 2 or more products to produce a garden.

Just a bit about my plans.... I was extreamly blessed and received several double pained windows and an sliding glass door free. My brother is a contractor and is going to design a greenhouse made out of (mostly) recycled materials. I have spent hours researching every aspect of hydroponics and I am planning on year around gardening a wide variety of plants from herbs to root veggies. I think I will try 3 different systems; ebb and flow for the root veggies,corn and tomatoes, Continuous flow for my salad veggies and maybe some verticle bags for herbs and strawberries. I live in southeast washington state and have all 4 seasons including very cold winters and very hot summers. I live on a small farm and have well water that is filtered but plan to install some rain barrels to catch the water for my greenhouse. Anyway, any suggestions, comments or ideas you can send my way would be appreciated