Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Hydroponic Strawberries & Tomatoes DWC

Old 05-13-2010, 02:58 PM

When rooting the runners do you think it would help do put some rooting hormone on the bottom of the plant where the roots will come from?

OTIS

Old 05-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTIS View Post
When rooting the runners do you think it would help do put some rooting hormone on the bottom of the plant where the roots will come from?

OTIS
As I understand it there is a lot of debate whether rooting hormones really work or not. But as I see it, it cant hurt unless you mix it way too strong. I would use it, just mix according to the instructions, perhaps slightly weaker.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:45 PM

I have the powder, so I would just dampen the spot where I'm supposing the new crown begins (the bulbous area of the runner) and just dab it in the powder. I'm planning on using a rockwool cube, or should I just just Perlite? I will take pictures sometime soon, but the plant is all the way downstairs and I just got back from a 3hr studio so I'm take a break, lol. Again, thanks for all the help.

OTIS
Old 05-13-2010, 10:57 PM

I am not sure how well rockwool will work out, not sure why though. If you were going to put them in cold storage to make your own bare root plants, it would be easier to clean off the Perlite for storage (bare root). You wont be able to clean off the rock wool, however as long as it's only slightly moist when in cold storage, there may be no problems using it at all. When I ordered them they had no soil at all on the roots, but just packed in slightly moist sawdust with all the leaves removed, just the crown and root-ball.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:52 PM

Hmm, so what I do is let it root while still part of the plant, then, once it has an established root ball, cut it, trim the leaves, and then store it in the refrigerator for some time? I have read some places where it says to do it for around 3-4 weeks, but as you said earlier, I have read about the 3 months. Really just trying to get some runners going so I can stop the hydroponic "mother plant" as it would be, and transplant that into a 50/50 mix of soil and perlite. Once that has seem to get established, I will transplant to the ground. Then, hopefully can run those rooted plants in a multi-node DWC set-up. Thanks.

OTIS
Old 05-14-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Hmm, so what I do is let it root while still part of the plant, then, once it has an established root ball, cut it, trim the leaves, and then store it in the refrigerator for some time?
Once the runners have a few roots, they don't need the mother plant anymore. Get the runners to start rooting, once they have a few roots then cut them off from the mother plant. Then let the runners grow into a small plant with a bunch of leaves, then trim the leaves off and begin the cold storage part or they likely wont fruit. Once you replant them they will grow new leaves.

This is from the article by Dr. Lynette Morgan 2009-11-01
Maximum Yield - Indoor Gardening

"Strawberries can also be propagated from runners – small daughter plants that form on the end of long stolons usually produced towards the end of the cropping season. These will root easily if pinned into a damp growing media or can be clipped from the stolon and rooted under mist like any other clone. Runners or plants purchased in a dormant state (usually available for sale in fall, winter and spring), can be held under refrigeration for as long as four to five months before planting out, allowing the season of fruit producing to be manipulated. However, the longer the plant is under refrigeration, the greater the chance of it losing viability, so only strong, well developed plants or runners should be given the extended chilling storage."

I would say for good well established plants I would chill them for 2-3 months. Sounds like you would be able to put the mother plant in cold storage also, tricking it into thinking a new season has started.

I don't know if you read this part from the same article:

" Breeders in the Netherlands have developed hybrid strawberry types which can be grown from seed and will fruit in their first season (another development as strawberry seedlings can be quite slow to grow to fruiting size). A suitable seed raised variety is ‘Sarian F1’ (Johnny seeds), or ‘Temptation’ (TM seeds) although no doubt we will be seeing more varieties later on."

You may be able to find these hybrids, and just start from seeds.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 05-14-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:45 AM

Yeah I did read that part, I had tried starting from seeds, but they did not work. I think they were like Alpine Strawberries or something, either way, they didn't last past the cotyledons, popped and died. But anyways, I think taking all the runners and then trimming and winterizing the mother plant would work then I will probably do the same type of set-up, DWC, but use a rubbermaid tub, the medium sized, don't know the volume, but then have about 4-6 sites, the lighting seems to be doing it, the plant in there has HUGE leaves. In fact, I will go take pictures now, well, after this post. Thanks for your help.

OTIS
Old 05-25-2010, 06:10 PM

Well, I transplanted it outside. Put it in a 50/50 mix of Perlite and Sta-Green Fruit and Flowers. I believe it is around 5-4-3 . Either way, soaked the soil and put her in, hope she survives.

OTIS
Old 05-26-2010, 01:31 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to watercatwn6535nd
Default strawberry

I bought four this year all different. grew them in hydro all winter and enjoyed berry's and two weeks back moved them out to the yard and there rocking along. i had huge runners in the grow room that had no dirt to root off now it looks like in a few weekends all those runners are starting to root so my four plants will 20 or 30 in a month. best part is when fall comes i will grab one of each and wash the dirt off and be back to hydro for winter berry's.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:13 AM

I just got this one plant, well came with 2 crowns, but got it, thought it was winterized and did hydro, now I'm left with the largest non-fruiting strawberry I have ever seen. Lol. Hopefully she takes to the transplant and makes it till next year.

OTIS