Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Question About reservoir temperature

Old 01-07-2015, 06:35 PM

Unless they are to big and bulky to move outside, any temperature and/or humidity gauge can be placed outside. Even if it isn't water proof it can be placed outside for 30 minutes or so when it's not raining. Or even placed under a patio roof to shelter it from the rain. If It were me, the first thing I would want to do is test those meters by placing them outside. Then see if they give you the close to the same readings you are finding online. I would move them back and forth a few days in a row to see if they read the change between inside and outside consistently. If it's reading the outside humidity correctly, chances are it's reading the inside humidity correctly as well. But if your not getting good outside readings, your probably not getting good inside readings either.

Then if they seem to be reading correctly, I would probably call a HVAC company and ask them if that type of drastic difference between inside and outside humidity levels is normal. If so, ask them what is acting as a dehumidifier? I see in your area it's cold, perhaps your home is closed up tight all day and the HVAC system is dehumidifying the air all day while it heats the home. Where I live we don't need to close the house up tight, and don't need the heater much during the day, and only sometimes run the heater much at night (even during winter). However we do use the AC all day and night during the summer, but until monsoon season there is very little difference between inside and outside humidity during summer.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:33 PM

[QUOTE=GpsFrontier;12289]Unless they are to big and bulky to move outside, any temperature and/or humidity gauge can be placed outside. Even if it isn't water proof it can be placed outside for 30 minutes or so when it's not raining. Or even placed under a patio roof to shelter it from the rain. If It were me, the first thing I would want to do is test those meters by placing them outside. Then see if they give you the close to the same readings you are finding online. I would move them back and forth a few days in a row to see if they read the change between inside and outside consistently. If it's reading the outside humidity correctly, chances are it's reading the inside humidity correctly as well. But if your not getting good outside readings, your probably not getting good inside readings either.

Then if they seem to be reading correctly, I would probably call a HVAC company and ask them if that type of drastic difference between inside and outside humidity levels is normal. If so, ask them what is acting as a dehumidifier?

Okay no1 So Move Both outside for 30mins and take reading from both to see if get same readings no2, move them back indoors to see how close indoor reading is compared to outside no3 repeat this a couples times and if their both still different or way off then its probably HVAC

Well here thing I don't have traditional heating and cooling, my AC is on the wall @ top of room and its and combo Ac/Heater Unit Used To supplement Our Base Board Heaters, bedroom window I never open however patio door I open off and on sometimes and one more thing the way my apartment faces all wind and cold hits my unit
Old 01-07-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Okay no1 So Move Both outside for 30mins and take reading from both to see if get same readings no2, move them back indoors to see how close indoor reading is compared to outside
No...
You already know how to look up what the outside humidity is online. Place the humidity sensors outside, leave them outside long enough so they can acclimate to the outside weather ( good 30 min or so). Then compare what the readings on your humidity sensors read to what it says your humidity is online. If their close, they are probably working right. If not, their likely not working correctly.

After you tested your outside humidity, then bring the sensors back inside the house. Run this test more than once, at least 3-4 days in a row. If you get readings that are close a few times, and readings that are far apart other time's, I wouldn't trust the humidity sensors.

If they don't seem reliable then don't trust them. If they do and still read so low inside, start looking for a reason why it would be so low inside. I'm not saying it's your HVAC. I'm saying if the humidity sensors turn out to be more or less accurate, I would investigate the HVAC system first as a reason that might be because I can't think of anything else it might be unless your running dehumidifiers inside.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:12 PM

ok I'm about to print out your instruction's...

And No I don't have a dehumidifier..

However I do have A Vick's Warm Mist Humidifier I run
every now and then till it start making noise

Thank You For trying to help me.. Very Few People Would
I'm Just Not Good With The Math & Science portion of Hydroponics'
I 'am More Of And Visual Person With Things