Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Hydro-Almanac

Old 01-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Default Hydro-Almanac

Does anyone know if there is a site that is a one stop for hydroponic plant information like the Farmer's Almanac is for Dirt Farmers?

If there isn't one, would people be interested in collecting and sharing data on what plant/hydro-system/nutrient/lighting/growth information they used?

I'd be happy to create at standard form that people would fill out and we could post the data on this site.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:07 PM

Naviaras
I am working on that exact type of site, including free build your own design plans, plant information, articles etc.. The link is in my signature at the bottom of my posts.

www.HomeHydroSystems.com (Home Hydroponic Systems)

You can contact me from the e-mail address on the contact-up page. I have not created a standard form for submitting information yet. Unfortunately the site is on hold until I can replace a crashed computer. I have tones more information that I have been collecting to add, but don't want to add a lot more pages that I will just need to fix later. I need to fix a problem with internet explorer compatibility before I add too much more (it works fine in Firefox). I have the fix already, however I need to redo all the pages to do it. That's why I need a computer that I wont be interrupted to work on. But I am considering adding a few build your own system design plans that I have already written up in the near future, even though I will need to redo the pages later anyway.

P.S. If you have any information to add, or have something particular that you would like to see, or even suggestions about the site, feel free to contact me about it.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:12 PM

GPS:
I'd say screw I.E. because it is still so buggy and MS chanages it every few months. But that is just my humble oppion. I know, I know, most people who don't know better still use I.E.

What fields would you like on the form? You have more experiance with hydro than I do. I am however very good with spreadsheets and databases and... <cold shiver> PowerPoint presentations.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:33 AM

Naviaras
I don't use IE myself (I use Firefox) that's why I got so much done before I ever realized the problem. The problem stems from confusing HTML code that confuses that browser. There are so many browsers that people have a choice in using I just want to clean up that code so that all browsers can read it right, not to mention being more search engine friendly. I was using a forum that has web developers familiar with Kompozer (the web builder I used) that not only brought up the problem to me, but one even took the time to re-write my homepage for me. I have that copied and can use it as the template for all the rest of the pages as well. But again I need to redo them all.

As for the forum portion of my site I will most likely just start out with a "Hydroponics," "Hydroponic lighting," "nutrients and Growing Mediums" and "Your Hydroponics Setup" sections. I don't think there would be much point in braking it down into each type of system, especially when most setups are really a combination of systems anyway. But I have many more main pages in mind for the site, as well as sub pages. My goal is to keep it easy to navigate, as well as find the info your looking for. I will also be adding a site search box for the website when I redo it.

I don't have experience with databases, PowerPoint and spreadsheets myself. I have experience with creating a pdf. files, and will be creating one for each build your own system design to make it easy for people to print out and take with them to get parts, as well as fallow along when building it, not to mention easy to e-mail to friends. As well as creating pdf.'s for articles, and other useful information.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 01-14-2011 at 06:22 PM.