Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

What Size pots would I use?

Old 06-24-2011, 04:26 PM

Default What Size pots would I use?

Hi I have just built my first hydroponic system (ebb and flow).I was going to have a go a growing Tomatoes but I can not find any where that tells me what size pot I should us for each plant. Can any one help me please

Last edited by kiwi2; 06-24-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:04 PM

Hello kiwi2,
There is no chart that I know of for pot sizes for different type of systems and/or plants. There are just to many variables, type of plants, as well as plant sizes for that to be accurate at all. I'm not sure what other plants you are planning, or even how you have designed your system. But I wouldn't want any less than 5 gallons of root space for tomato (indeterminate) plants. Or possibly 3 gallons of root space for the smaller bush (determinate) variety's. All the roots don't need to be in the basket (growing container). But if not, they will need to be kept from drying out, and still need the space to grow. Hopefully without clogging your pluming, or at least easy to unclog (easy maintenance).
Old 06-25-2011, 04:50 PM

Thanks for a quick reply to my question Gps Frontier, I have built my system off this web site: http://www.ai.hydroponics-diy.com/node/69 I am now thinking I may have built the wrong type,The biggest bucket I have set up is what we would call a general household bucket here in New Zealand its holds about 10 liters of water (2.5 US Gallons???) The type of Tomatoes I was going to have a go at growing is the Beef Steak/Money Maker type.and I have made another system for growing lettuce as I was told it would be better to have 2 systems so I could have different nutrient strengths.
Over here in New Zealand we are about mid winter but its been very mild so far only have had 1 light frost, (Napier Weather - NZ Weather Forecast Napier from MetService.com) normally plant Tomatoes out in the garden in mid October but was given a glass house (not heated) so thought I might give hydroponics a go and get some early crops

Last edited by kiwi2; 06-25-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:14 AM

Should work out nicely for you. I use 3 1/2 in pots on some of mine and in 4in pipes. I am experimenting and gonna trim the roots and prune the plants to control height. pruning should put plant energy into fruit instead of plant. will let you all know how that works. My crop grows in an NFT system with out pots and are support with plastic twine.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:10 AM

Thanks Crad after hearing that I think I will keep on going with the set up I have and will let you now how things go.Look forward in seeing how your Tomatoes turn out.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:18 AM

Pruning the roots usually dosen't hurt the plants depending on how much you prune. But pruning too much can do real damage to both fruit and foliage. After all the plants rely on the roots for not only the mineral elements (nutrients) they need for photosynthesis, and that converts the nutrients into all the compounds the plants need to grow (especially the sugars the plant uses for the fruit). But they also rely on the root system to be able to drink the water they need. If they cant drink up enough water to replace what is transpired out through all of the plant foliage, they will just wilt over and become week.

kiwi2
I get why ""Kiwi"" now. Anyhow if you built your system like in the link, it will look nice. 2.5 gallons would be a good size for growing plants like peppers. You certainly can try growing tomato's in it, and see what you think. For me, I grew some in a flood and drain system using 2 gallon buckets, and I personally wont be using that small of a container for tomato's in the future.

P.S.
Not to be pessimistic, but the system I built for the tomato's using 2 gallon buckets on top of PVC tubing became top heavy. So I had to use bricks to set the buckets on or it was going to break. I don't really know how strong yours is, but if it was anything like mine, you'll want to be aware of how much weight those buckets are holding, and how easy they'll tip side to side. Here is a link to the thread of the tomato plants I grew. Notice how I have the weight of the buckets supported using the bricks. http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/for...y-tomatos.html
Old 06-26-2011, 07:35 PM

the tipping thing is a very good point. I am concerned on my pipes over that and think I am going to clamp them down with 2 hole clamps.

You also bring up a valid point I have been contemplating and that is how long do you leave the roots it is a balance and I will be in a drip system instead of a flood and drain so the real question is how much water and roots are needed to maintain a good growth. that is why I am playing with cherry tomatoes easier to change setups and quicker response time form the plant.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:58 PM

I was also a little concerned with it not been able to hold the weight when I saw the design so I modified mine a little the pipes and pots sit on there own bench and the tank and pump sits on the ground at one end and the pipes feed into it.Fingers crossed it will work but it sounds like its fun experimenting with all the different types on Hydroponic set ups and growing different plants.
I had a look at your set up Gps Frontier and it look very impressive.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:43 AM

Thumbs up What Size pots would I use?

There is no fixed size of pot for ebb and flow system. It depends on two factors i.e. how much light you have and other one is Area. Still with an example shown below you can get an idea what should be the pot size. For example: In a 4*4 feet area, running a 1000watt light, you can grow 10 to 30 plants. If plants are smaller at the time of flowering then we can have more space for growing other plants.

Last edited by Marie Matt; 07-06-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:46 AM

I don't see what light has to do with the pot size decision. Weather using a 1000 watt light, 400 watt light or using natural sunlight, that wont affect any of the factors I can see to determine the size pot, or amount of growing medium used to grow the plant. The only possible relation to amount of light VS pot size (and thus amount of growing medium) I can see is more light will be able to grow a larger plant. But even then it's not the amount of light, it's the size of the plant that's the determining factor (in that one comparison factor, and assuming all other growth factors are the same).

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 07-06-2011 at 05:50 AM.