Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Skype group chat?

Old 08-05-2011, 12:08 AM

Default Skype group chat?

I thought I would see if people wanted to do a group chat in skype for the forum? I can set up a group chat and post a link to those interested in being able to chat about hydroponics in a more open manner.

Not trying to replace the forum, just give an area for more open and indepth conversation about a subject, or just let people chat openly.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:37 AM

I'm not very familiar with skype myself. It's my understanding that it's basically an internet based video phone service. Basically requiring each user to have a internet video camera connected, and registration to skype. I have no idea what they charge. It sounds like an interesting idea. My laptop has a built in camera, although I have never used it or set it up. I don't know what's required for skype registration, but if it dosen't require too much personal info I would be willing to register. Though I don't have any extra money for skype service right now.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:44 AM

Skype is free to register and does not require a cam or anything. The main portion of the program is a chat program with video and voice options, so you can do all that if you like. I like to use skype because it allows you to set up your own private "chat rooms". A camera, microphone. all that would not be required. The chat room can let you talk through it, but is not a required part and you can chose to be in the audio conversation or not.

You don't have to give personal information if you do not want to pay them. You can register with minimal information at all. I have used skype for a while to manage conversations with groups of people. It is just an easy and free way to do a real time chat room. I have never paid a penny to them and they still dont even know my name lol.

I just thought that the active members can have a place to talk and exchange information as well as the newer people can come in and chat about hydroponics and ideas should they want.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:33 AM

I don't know if I will always have time to participate in a chat room session, but I could set up a free skype account and participate as time allows. I have never really used chat rooms.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:45 PM

Thats fine. I was thinking it could be more of a casual, when you are there conversation. I will post a link here. It "should" bring you to the conversation channel when you click it and have skype running.

Hydroponics chat

This link will work for a little while, It needs to be updated from time to time, as they change the URLs to the chats over time.

Last edited by jamromhem; 08-07-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Once i get settled with all the crap i'm doing with my kids. School starts in a week. I'd love to get on and chat.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:33 PM

I have skype on my phone but know nothing about it. I have friends that use it and like it. I will check it out.