Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

Green House Construction

Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to watercatwn6535nd
Default Green House Construction

Okay I've been very busy lately doing re-landscape. I'll post photos tomorrow night.

First i have wanted some aqua culture in the system. so I went ahead and installed a 2500 gallon pond for rainbow trout and fresh water clams. Since i am wanting to restock my own system if possible i have added a 20ft long spawning stream replication to the system that feeds the pond as well is the bio filter. This is currently still under construction and i'll be trying to get it all up and on line by the end of august so i can get some fish/clams in it for the winter. I have some cool stuff i am adding into the landscape such as a old style gum machine that dispenses fish food for only .25. its a small price to pay to see them jump. I also built a granite cleaning and gutting table and a nice stainless marine BBQ. more to come here and lots of pictures. I'm really enjoying this build much more now that i have the hole dug.

With the dirt from the pond i have added a 10 x 30 raised flower bed as well as put it on its own zone in the sprinkler system. this si going to be my wild flower grow each year. just rototiller it up every spring and throw in a bag of mixed flower seed and let it do its thing. should be a great hummingbird and bee/fly draw. can never have enough pollinators.

But what i have really been up to is my new custom fully automated hydroponic green house. its 25 x 25 so its not to huge but i have raised the ceiling in it to 12ft high. I'm setting up for 50 total plants. all evenly spaced so each one gets its own 25sqft. of green house space. I'm going with a 30 gallon poly drum for each floor container and cutting a hole in the top of the barrel to add a net pot from a 5 gallon bucket system i currently use. so the bottom barrels will be my storage fluid tanks as well as my plant buckets. this will save a ton of space. i was going to bury a large tank in the ground but either not having the tank or not wanting to dig the hole leaned towards a bunch of free barrels. plus i like the idea the plant is up off the ground for maintenance?

directly above each barrel hanging from the rafters will be a 5 gallon bucket system. my plan is to grow these as upside down plants by simply pulling them down as they grow and training them with tomato yoyo's and string. i want to have the male and female of each plant if they were needed to be right next to each other to help with pollination so directly above should be perfect.

I'm pumping the nutrient to the rafters and coming off a set of pipes up there with drip ammeters to each 5 gallon bucket. then in the bottom of the bucket drains that go straight down directly into the barrel under neath feeding that plant as well. i like gravity and i like drains in bottoms of buckets not in the sides when the root ball is huge and the plant is really old. its much easier to keep the drain lines clear and trim the root ball to keep it out of the drain. plus in the bottom you get to use a hose as a siphon if it starts to plug and that extra pull from the vacuum really helps.

between the hanging buckets and the top of the barrel I'm installing my standard indoor lighting florescent system just as i have now. but this time I'm removing the fixture from the bulbs and re locating the ballasts. I'm putting the bulbs in a position hanging directly under the 5 gallon bucket and probably taped to the hydra farm hose drain line. then I'm simply running wires over and plugging into the bulbs. this will give me a 8ft bulb in length. 4ft for the top plant growing down and 4 ft for the barrel plant growing up. what i like a bout this is my bulb is in the middle of the plant and shining 360 degrees around. so instead of lots of bulbs surrounding the plant like i have now to get it lit up in all directions i should be able to get this same effect with one.

Since i am now out doors i will get the extra Benny's of out door real sun. so this will be a nice feature. it also has the down side that i am needing to build a automatic shade cloth to keep my light cycles in flowering all year around which i now just have a timer doing with my indoor lights. another advantage of added bulbs for lighting is it will be easy to extend the day light in the fall by leaving them on.

I'm not doing in air conditioning outside it never really gets to hot here and the green house fans will work just fine dumping the excess heat out on hot summer nights. plus hydro plants do better than dirt plants in hot weather.

I am adding a chiller to the system. we just built one and it looks to small so I'm going to up it all in size and will let the growtronix tell us if its working out. I'm not cooling the nute tanks just the nutes before they go out to drip on the plants. i'll be fine either way i run the nutes in the mid 70's no and have no issues. i was thinking more along the lines of it would be back up for really hot days and not having a/c to help out a bit?

Heating i have to have it it can get cold here in the northwest. i have decided to use hydronic floor heating. i like the idea of a heating system filled with antifreeze so it cant destroy itself and floor heating is the most efficient heating method. i just don't want hot air blowing out of ducts on the plants. floor heat is also so even and it will keep my nutes warm in the winter helping to keep the plants warm since they will set on the heated ground.

I decided on two layer 6 mil covering with a pressure fan between the two layers. fairly basic here.

In the floor the ground was not perfect so it sloped around between 6" and 1' of depth so were just filling it level to the base boards with crushed rock. this should be firm to walk on and great drainage. Plus i can spray weed killer on the floor to keep it looking sharp and not have to worry about it getting into my hydro system.

The green house is also part of our new chicken coupes. separate but working together to minimize waist and boost food production. i am fully automating the new coupe and it will operate off the growtronix as well. I'm keeping it simple in the coupe. a lean to roof to keep the he houses dry and the new hen houses are being built in 55 gallon drums that are plastic or poly. They have doors that open at sun rise and close at dusk that lock in the hens and protect them from night pretenders. the growtronix has a motion sensors so this will be placed facing the coupes and after the system locks the place down at night ( they have light sensors to). it will take a web cam video of the intruder while he is in the facility. this way i will get a email that were under siege as well as i can see how he got in or out. the fences are electric top and bottom but raccoons can be very tricky.

the barrels or hen houses are getting 1" holes drilled in the bottoms of them or sides since they will lay on there sides. under the holes or bottom will be PEX hydronic heating lines to regulate the heat in the cold. the growtronix temp probe will turn the system on and off as needed. the pex is also going to be in the ground in the run area so its keeping the ground dry as well and helping the lawn grow to keep it clean. i know i could do more but there chickens.

the chicken feeder is going to be the new shop vac that fits on a 5 gallon bucket. its only 20$ and i just saw it at lowes. I'll store the food in a poly tank 55 gallon drum. the suction for the vacuum hose will be in the barrels bottom through the the threaded holes in the top of it. the discharge will be on its side mounted in a way that when its feeding time it will blow the feed out across the entire coupe area so that they keep scratching it all up and there doing there part to keep it clean. no reason to feed in the same place and keep that area torn up and messy. the vacuum will turned off and on by the growtronix of course. water will be your basic dog water bowl i already use but I'm installing a drain on it right it the middle of it under neath. a simple sprinkler valve maybe. this will turn on everyday and just drain the water away through a hose out of the coupe to keep the mud mess down. The auto refill will top it back up and the pex heated floor will keep it from freezing.

plus i'm trying to get out on nice days to hovercraft on the rivers but that's my summer plans and I'm well into each project right now. plus i bought paint for the house today and am hoping to trick beer drinkers into applying it all for me soon.

if you have my you tube channel watercatwn6535nd i just posted a automated composter that i just finished building and will get some pics of that up to with the wood chipper installed for cutting up the compost before it goes in to speed the process up. its built to expand if i have a need for more volume composting and still run on the same electronics.

Lots of pictures to come,

Old 06-28-2010, 08:14 AM

all that sound interesting... pics are going to be really cool!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 PM

Wow, you’re quite the handy man engineer. It also sounds like you have/make a lot of time to invest in these projects. Keep it up and the updates flowing, very interesting!
Thanks,
StrangGuy
Old 06-29-2010, 12:38 AM

Default green house update

Started install the base boards on the green house 2 x 12's. all the posts are now in and set in concrete but one corner so we can drive the sizer lift in to install the trusses.

I bit off more than i could chew today. installed new top soil in the flower beds and re arranged the plants because I was told to. I then talked the neighbor kids into digging a trench around the house so that i could install a couple yards of round rock. i needed a buffer between the house and the lawn so i could throw away my weed eater, just hate that job.

there is never enough time in the day. but i did do a walk through the green room and found a nice bell pepper between green and red that has some chocolate color to it and grabbed a cuke for the cutting block.

I have metal on order so hope fully i can get some rafters up next week. then i'll start hanging buckets. should be able to get the floor all leveled out for the pex heated floor tube next week. then gravel then i can really start in. forgot to take pictures but i did two dirt hanging baskets to day of some sweet peas flowers i had wrapped in a wet paper towel and planted in dirt two weeks back. they should look great i put 5 plants in each hanger to really fill it out.

Shoveling 2 yards of rock today out of the Nissan pick up makes me remember when i was in shape. hard work is hard.

I'll get more pics soon and i'm hoping for a perpetual harvest starting in October just in time for some beer and bratts on the propane BBq in the green house recycling my co2 gas.[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Vince\Desktop\yard work[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing derby1.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	817   Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing derby3.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	818   Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing derby6.JPG
Views:	708
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	819   Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing derby8.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	820   Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing derby10.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	821  

Name:	fishing derby11.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	822   Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing derby12.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	823   Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing derby13.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	824   Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing derby14.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	825   Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing derby15.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	826  

Name:	fishing derby27.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	827   Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing derby42.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	828   Click image for larger version

Name:	fishing derby46.JPG
Views:	679
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	829  

Last edited by watercatwn6535nd; 06-29-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: left out a picture
Old 06-29-2010, 12:55 AM

Truly its what i live for i love fabrication and invention. automation is what will save the slow food movement through hi tech growing i believe. i did not mention but i just last week aquired the use of a old commercial green house operation from a freind that bouth the property and does not use the green houses. there fully compete with everything from heat to co2. i mentioned to him i would liek to grow a extra crop if i had room for a bigger green house to take to the food bank on a regular basis and he out of know where said well we have green houses stop by and see if they'll work. it was a commercial hanging basket business for 40 years and they retired he bought the property for a home. very lucky score so i expect to get donw there and started in on that in what ever free time i can find lucky its only a couple mile from my work and i can manage that grow after work on my way home and i'm going to find some green helpers taht would like to work in a great facility. i'm completly excited over it.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:40 AM

I finally had time to finish reading the original post in full. I only wish I had the funds to take on such a project. If I remember correctly your wife allowed you to only have a couple of chickens, were you able to talk your way into having a few more? I look forward to seeing more pictures of the project as it progresses. All you need now is a well for water, and some solar panels, and you could have a self sufficient and off the grid.

P.S. I drink beer, vodka, rum etc.. If I only lived in the northwest I would probably be easy to talk into painting the house. Also what paneling are you planing for the greenhouse, and is it expensive. I'm on the look out for some relatively inexpensive clear paneling that's very durable. We get extremely strong winds here, so rolled plastics are pretty much not going to last. I am looking to cover about a 30 by 30 and/or larger greenhouse.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 06-29-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:23 AM

6 mil uv stablized it runs about $3 a foot about 25ft wide so i need about 3 runs out it plus the ends. i'm told it lasts 4 years no problem and if i keep it tight and clean it will go two or three more. everything else was to much money for the ease of installing plastic i'll do the extra work every so many years. plus it may get better with time. I dont think wiond is the issue with the plastic i think its more on how its installed. i've seen on you tube large snow loads setting on roofs as well as crushed so common sense and a shovle or heat goes a long ways.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
6 mil uv stablized
Do you have a link? Even the 6mL paint drop cloths are more than that. What I remember anyway was over $100 a role and was nowhere the size I need even for the 10ft by 10ft and 9ft tall makeshift greenhouse I built for my tomatoes that I never got covered. As far as wind, we get winds up to 50 and 60 mile an hr gusts, and 35 to 40 sustained winds. I understand if built right, it wont blow over. But I still need to worry about things like branches etc. that can easily be blown into it, making holes, rips and tears in it, that becomes a weak point and rips easier from those points. I do plan to build a wind break of some kind, but don't have any money in the budget for it.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 PM

local listing on craigs list

Greenhouse plastic UV stabilized - $2 (Kent)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-05-14, 10:10AM PDT
Reply to: sale-pthwc-1740718138@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greenhouse plastic 6 mil. Clear, UV resistant. 36 ft. wide by however long you need it.
Price : $2.50 running ft.
E-mail or call (206) 227-4376

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Old 10-04-2010, 12:10 PM

Has anyone tried running bigger pumps and bigger drip feed lines. I dont want to have drip lines plugging in my new green house. I have been thinking about my pond pump in my pond. it supplies 3600 gph at zero head i think or just a few feet. i had this idea to use the pvc fittings from the spa guys that are in ther hot tubs. the sell a funky fitting that has as much as 10 1/2" fitting scoming off it that are for plugging vinyl tubing on for the air injection on a spa. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices they make this fitting for any size line's.

But what i thought would be cool is to use the bigger vinyl hose with a big pond pump and hope that it would stop all the plugging on the small drip lines. plus i think the higher flow rate would be healtier and on a big pump like that it would be easy to install a syphone air hose like they do on a spa to aerate the water or jets in the tub by installin a airline in the pond pump line so it could suck air in and elminate a air pump and stone system at the same time.

So any one doing any thing like this?