Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

What nutrients to buy?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:24 PM

Default What nutrients to buy?

hello, this if my first post!

I just did a DIY setup, I pretty much followed this: Expandable Hydroponics System from Junk - Flood and Drain.

I have everything ready to go, but now I am totally confused about what nutrients to buy. I have no idea where to start.

I plan on growing basil, oregano, spinach and lettuce. I would also like to keep the money I spend to a minimum since this is my first attempt.

Any recommendations on brands or do you have any links that would be a good buy for me?

Thanks

Old 11-16-2010, 03:18 AM

If you are on a tight budget I would suggest using dry nutrients as apposed to the liquids. Dry nutrients are usually cheaper than the liquids. I like General Hydroponics line of nutrients but they are not really the cheapest on the market, even for the dry.

GENERAL HYDROPONICS (GH dosen't sell directly to the public but almost any hydroponic vendor has them)
The Verti-Gro Hydroponic Fertilizers and Nutrients - Organic and Hydroponic Growing for Commercial and Hobby Growers (I have tried these with good success)

P.S. For the plants you mentioned, you don't want a nutrient that's designed for flowering plants. You'll want a nutrient for vegetative growth instead. Not that just about any nutrient would likely grow the plants, but a nutrient that's designed for vegetative growth will wind up with much better foliage because the plants wont be focusing on flowering.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 AM

When you are going to buy nutrients, You will want to look at the N-P-K of the nutrients.

The N-P-K is the three numbers on the front of the bottle. If you are unsure of anything, the local hydroponics retailer can certainly help you find what you need.

Since you are doing vegetative growth, you will want to get nutrients with a high N number. If you are unsure of what strength, you shouldn't really have to worry about it. Once you pick your nutrients, you can post here what you got and someone will be able to tell you roughly how much to dilute it.

Since you are growing consumable plants, I highly recommended sticking to OMRI Certified Organics. I would stay away from powerful chemical fertilizers. The extra yield is not worth the chemical ingestion in my opinion.

Liquid fertilizers may be a little more expensive, but not by much. The convenience is worth the extra couple bucks. They also do not stink as bad as most organic dry nutrients.

Try to find a grow/Veg fertilizer that has the micro-nutrients built in if you are looking for simplicity while you're at it.