Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

adjusting PH

Old 05-28-2010, 08:06 PM

Default adjusting PH

Doing a bit of research beginning into hydroponics. I think I'm getting the basics of feeding. But when adjusting water Ph does one adjust the water before adding fertiliser or after.

Also when starting out is it worth worrying about nitrogen levels and such or just to follow the product instruction to begin with?

Last edited by Mankysteve; 05-28-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
when adjusting water Ph does one adjust the water before adding fertiliser or after.
Check and adjust the pH after mixing the nutrients.

Quote:
Also when starting out is it worth worrying about nitrogen levels and such or just to follow the product instruction to begin with?
Well that is really different for everyone. Most beginners should just start by fallowing manufactures directions, and go from there. But if you are planing to grow only one type of crop, then finding a nutrient formula that is specific for that crop can be helpful. But most beginners want to try a few different plants, and don't want to buy a different nutrient for each. Some nutrient formulas are a 2 or 3 part formula that allows you to adjust it somewhat.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:33 PM

Cool i wish to grow cut and come again salads any varieties I should be on the lookout for? Typical PH about 7 for salads? What other thing could i grow along side was thinking about peppers.

Ps this is a great site a lot of the other sites are all about growing certain illicit substances I'm glad to have found site that has barely anything to do with that area.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:13 AM

I adjust first if it is necessary. Some nutes precipitate (fallout) if you don't adjust pH prior to adding the nutes if your water has high pH. If you are using rain water, you don't have to adjust first. If you are using tap, I'd adjust the night before and check the next day just before adding nutes. Peppers do best with lower pH than 7. Most people aim for 5.8-6.2 or so. Keep in mind that a single point of change really means 10 times. So one full point is really a significant difference.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
I adjust first if it is necessary. Some nutes precipitate (fallout) if you don't adjust pH prior to adding the nutes
I'm not really sure what fallout means. But from what I understand the less pH adjusters that you use the better, and after adding the nutrients your likely going to need to readjust the pH. So I am thinking it is better to do it once, rather than both before and after.
Quote:
I'd adjust the night before and check the next day just before adding nutes
Will chlorine dissipation affect pH? I use RO but it would be good to know.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Hi GPS,

Disclaimer: I am not a chemist (yet). My info is from reading on labels, books, and other forums. You should always confirm what I say since I am not an expert.

What I mean by fallout or precipitate is when minerals bond and make a solid that the plant can't use. You will notice this by finding what looks like dirt (like from iron) or scale (calcium deposits) on the inside of the reservoir. Some micronutrients don't waste time doing this. If you start with poor quality water, precipitation begins as the nutes hit it. So, you should adjust prior. If you are using a good nutrient, adjusting prior should render adjusting afterward a moot point. If you are using rain water or RO, it is likely you have a good pH to begin with. Tap water is often as high as 8.3 from what I've read on other forums. Mine is a little lower, but not much. That is way too high for many micronutrients. You are certainly correct that you want to use as few adjustments as possible, but the point of that is that you are supposed to start with good quality water in the first place so you won't have to adjust too often.

Your medium can further cause you to have to adjust, of course. For example, coco coir often reduces pH. You should test the water off of coco after you expand it. The water from GH Coco tested around 4 for me and had an EC of 3.0. I was shocked. So, yeah, you might have to adjust before and after. But adjusting only after won't fix the problems you caused by failing to adjust before. It only prevents them from getting worse.

I don't believe that letting the chlorine gas off will affect your pH that much, but I could be wrong. Tap pH is usually high due to the dissolved solids if I remember correctly. I was recommending the wait based on allowing the pH to stabilize since it is likely the starting pH was pretty high. However, it is supposedly good to let the chlorine gas off just to protect the tender roots. Especially new ones.

GH recommends that you adjust prior and then check again an hour after mixing the nutes. Of course, they sell the adjusters.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:06 AM

Most good Nutes have pH balancers in them to keep the pH stable after adjusting nutes. I always adjust pH first and then the nutes if need be.