Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

wondering if the only source of lighting is HID

Old 02-12-2009, 07:46 AM

Default wondering if the only source of lighting is HID

Hey Ron, love your site! I got up to page 50 of the bulletin board archives and didn't see my question answered so here goes. I am new to this and was wondering if the only source of lighting is HID, will plants still grow, or do they need some sunlight? I am assuming they will grow with HID only, but want to know for sure before I go too far. I live in a condo and the only space I have available is the basement. Also, I am an electrician by trade and just happen to be doing a project where we are replacing a bunch of hps and MH high bay fixtures and lucky me, they still work. I've already been given the go ahead to take what I want, so if I can grow with HID only I'm in like Flynn. In one of your posts you commented on finding cheap fixtures. Here is a couple of ideas: Check around with any local warehouses or industrial facilities and try to talk with one of their engineers. They may be doing a lighting upgrade and make you a hell of a deal. Also check with your local electrical contractors. They may be in the middle of such a project. Industrial surplus places are an option likewise. If you strike out everywhere be sure to leave your name and number for any future happenings.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:47 AM

I'm afraid so. Without sunlight or at least indirect sunlight, HID is the only way to go.
You are on the right track. I bought 3 - 400 Watt factory MH lights at a flea market for 30 bucks apiece. I took them apart and added a long cord to make the ballast remote. They were 220 volt but being an amateur electrician, no problem.
Just don't forget to buy new bulbs. Just because they still burn don't mean they don't need replacing. Every year for MH and every two years for hps.