Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

pollinate the flowers

Old 01-31-2009, 03:25 AM

Default pollinate the flowers

I've got a nice big tomato plant going since early summer, it took a while to get going but finally took off. The plant itself is doing fine but I'm not getting a heck of a lot for tomatoes and the ones that are there are deformed, they look more like little pumpkins than tomatoes. Can you tell me what is wrong? Also, I've brought it in since it's getting to freezing here now, and put it in my big bay south facing window, how does a person pollinate the flowers now that there are no insects? Thanks very much, J.Birkigt Anyone besides Ron having ideas please send them to jolane@junctionnet.com Thanks a bunch, great website Ron!

Old 01-31-2009, 03:26 AM

Pollination can be achieved by shaking the plant at the first sign of blooms, then daily for about three days. Tomatoes need to be pollinated between 11 a.m. and noon for best results. Flowers do like rather high humidity for pollination, so -if need be- mist the plants twice during the time you shake them. Harvest daily and pick off any deformed or damaged fruit.
(from Secrets to a Successful Greenhouse Business by T.M. Taylor)
Ron