Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

"Yeast and Sugar Fermentation"

Old 02-06-2009, 03:14 AM

Default "Yeast and Sugar Fermentation"

Yo, Ron;

Can you please explain the "Yeast and Sugar Fermentation in a Bottle" trick? I would like a good, but cheap way to add CO2 to my 24" x 24" x 6' grow room, and don't spend enough time with the plant to breathe on it enough.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:15 AM

Fermentations is a way to add CO2 to small grow rooms if you can handle the smell. Use a one gallon plastic milk jug and mix one cup of sugar and a packet of brewers yeast with about three quarts of warm water. This concoction is changed one to four times daily as needed. Half of the solution is poured out, then 1 1/2 quarts of water and another cup of sugar are added. Add more yeast if needed.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:50 AM

Default Co2 sugar and yeast

I've been reasearching this topic for a couple hours and it's very controvercial, in terms of people can't seem to agree about the topic. Can anybody tell me if the have proof that it work's. for example measuring the ppm before and after adding this jug of sugar and yeast?

I saw some simple videos on youtube were it's applied in aquariums and the plant are definetly geeting co2.

I built one anyway because I can't afford to pay 400 bucks to get started with a proper co2 tank.

My prototype is a 2 liter bottle with 6 cups of sugar and 1 tbl spoon of bakers yeast. I attached a airtight hose to the cap and put it in water. after 2 hours I started getting lots of huge bubbles so I knew that it started gerating co2. all I did after that was connect that hose to a long skinny piece of pvc with some small holes in it and placed it in the middle of my ebb and flow. I think it's gotta help at least a bit. Our air averages 300 ppm of co2, how much do you think this will increase it?

One more thing, experieced grower's are only using co2 in flowering, why not in vegetation?