Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

My First Deep Water Culture

Old 02-14-2011, 01:20 PM

Default My First Deep Water Culture

After what seemed like forever to get the seedlings started, I was finally able to get my DWC started last night. Right now I have Chives, Dill, Spinach, Basil, Lettuce, and Tomatoes in the system. I will be making update on the forums as often as I can and will also be making posts to my blog at Robert Brennan - My Hydrofarm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1741.jpg
Views:	1112
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	993   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1742.jpg
Views:	1306
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	994   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1743.jpg
Views:	1002
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	995  
Old 02-14-2011, 07:01 PM

Hello cable24601,
I live in the US, but I can imagine that (good) fresh produce can be that expensive that far north given the short growing seasons. Hydroponics is a great way to go. It's a little investment, especially with lights for growing inside, but well worth it in the long run. Here's an interesting idea, keep track of all the money spent to grow the produce hydroponically, and how much less you spend on that same produce from the store. Then do a month to month evaluation on how much you are saving for an entire year.

Keep in mind that you will become much more efficient at growing them than you were in the beginning (there is always a learning curve). So you will wind up saving even more the second year (even after a few months). Then once you have calculated how much you are saving, do something special with that money, invest it in something, make improvements around the house, put it in the bank and let it grow, take a vacation etc..

It was interesting to read about your pH stabilizing problem, it makes sense though. Did the carbon filter do the trick? I haven't had that problem myself, I always use RO water in my hydro systems. I would also suggest using some kind of filtered water whenever possible. A carbon filter will take a lot of them out, but not as much as a RO system. Don't buy a RO system just for some plants, I'm just saying use the best water you can. There are so many different contaminants in tap water that can affect your nutrient solution. And not just pH, but also the mineral element concentrations (even toxicity), as well as the ability of the plants to absorb the nutrients in the water in the first place. A lot of problems can be traced back to water quality issues.

The nutrient manufactures assume that you are using RO water as a standard when the give directions on mixing them, that's because they cant possibility know what is in each and everyone's water supply. Most large scale hydroponic operations have the water supply tested, and a nutrient formula designed for their specific water quality (as well as plants), but for small scale backyard growers like us it's much easier to just start with filtered water.

P.S. I know what you mean by taking so long to start seedlings (I'm not real patient that way), that's why I usually just risk introducing soil born pathogens into a hydro system, and just buy already started plants. Then just gently wash off the soil before I transplant into the system. But you cant always find the plants you want to grow, and not year round in most places either, so sometimes I don't have much choice but to start seeds.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the comments GpsFrontier

I really like you idea about keeping a monthly cost to produce the fresh food. I was joking with my wife about that the other day. I was saying that until the start up costs get absorbed by the production of food then the first few crops are going to be about $75 for a head of lettuce. But I should break even at some point. My pH stabilizing problem did go away after I ran it through the fish tank filter although I did not make that vary clear on my website. But I will in my next post. I have been looking in to an RO system for a few weeks now and do believe that that would be the best way to go. I am not sure that I have the funds just yet to get a system that would support the whole house. however I was thinking that one that installs under the kitchen sink might do the trick.

once again thanks for your comments. I am new at this and every bit of advice helps
Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 PM

LOL. Check out your thread title. Exactly the same as another one I posted. Too funny.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:05 PM

I see that now, sorry about that. I checked out you blog nice work

Last edited by cable24601; 02-15-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:53 PM

Default System update with pics 1 week in

I wanted to show you all some pictures of the system about 1 week in
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1755.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1018   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1758.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1019   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1762.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1020   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1767.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1021  
Old 03-04-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cable24601 View Post
I wanted to show you all some pictures of the system about 1 week in

Lookin' good!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:39 PM

Just wanted to give a week 4 update. For the most part this are looking good There has been some spotting on the tomato leaves I hope that will go away with the last water change

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1857.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1038   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1863.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1039   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1862.jpg
Views:	840