Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

First Tomato Setup

Old 01-15-2015, 12:03 PM

Default First Tomato Setup

Hey guys! Im pretty new around here but just wanted to post some progress on my tomato setup. I've pieced it together for the last 4-5 weeks and finally got it up and running about 2 weeks ago.

It's kind of like a dutch bucket system I guess. I tried to use things that were cheap and available where I could and I could reuse somehow if I change the setup. The buckets are actually kitty litter containers (they are food grade plastic, weird I know) that my brother always recycles. I had him save them for me and I cut the tops off. They hold just a hair under 2.5 gal and are completely free for me. For the elbows at the bottom, I drilled a hole (7/8" maybe) and used some grommets I got from Grainger. The elbows are actually sprinkler irrigation barbed fittings with some tubing connecting the two through the grommet. Not perfect, but leaves about and inch or less water in the bottom of the containers when the pump turns off. The containers have paint strainer bags and hold clay pebbles. I've tried perlite but I like the recyclability of the pebbles. I still have to wrap the containers in a light blocking film, probably foil as it's pretty accessible and cheap.

The tomatoes are actually 5 different varieties. I'm not even sure what they are. I think theres a Black Zebra variety, Indian Moon variety, and maybe something called Sausage. If I get one tomato, I'll be happy. I'm more so trying this just to have plants in the garage (heated right now) for greenery and to show myself I can do it. I'm expecting tomatoes however... All plants that have been moved here are from suckers from other plants. I just stuck them in rock wool, gave them some water, and they started rooting. Then they got moved into the kitty litter containers.

Fertilizer is Masterblend Tomato fertilizer. I also use the Calcium stuff and Epsom salts. nutrients are mixed a little under half strength right now because all of my plants are tiny.

lights are HID lamps. I got one off amazon a while ago and my parents gifted me another so I could move on with this setup. They came with two lamps each, a hps and a MH (2700K and 5000K or something like that). I installed one of each to see which tomatoes grow faster. Weird little experiment but curiosity draws me in. I plan on setting up Mylar around them to keep in heat and light. In the zoomed out pick, I attached a frame made of EMT to the ceiling. I normally use small magnets and just stick it to the EMT so I can reuse/repurpose if I need to.

Oh well, enough rambling. I know most people don't respond to a lot of threads (Im guilty of it too) so even if you look, enjoy! If you have any advice please let me know. Thanks for looking!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1347.jpg
Views:	1420
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	2771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1345.jpg
Views:	1402
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	2770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1342.jpg
Views:	1363
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	2769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1336.jpg
Views:	1479
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	2767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1337.jpg
Views:	1397
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	2768  

Old 01-28-2015, 02:20 PM

Just wanted to post a little update. I put some Mylar at the two ends but then ran out. Maybe I'll order more if I need it. I have also wrapped the containers in foil and haven't noticed any algae growth.

They are growing well so far. I think they are preferring the HPS lamp with a much warmer light. I have noticed some bud problems which I will get pictures for later. The first bud, about 6 inches up won't fully grow and starts to turn yellow and dry up. The second bud cluster, another 6 inches up or so will stay green but hasn't started growing out yet. Then the third cluster buds are starting to be a little more defined as flowers (the green part no yellow petals yet) and are starting to get a 'stem' for the cluster. Confusing, I know. I feel that when I transplanted them, they might have had the baby cluster on them which was stressed and decided not to make it. But the new clusters are able to be supported by the new environment and root growth. Maybe I'll actually get some fruit.

I'm also considering giving them a larger reservoir. I have an 18 gallon tote instead of the 10 gallon they are using. It might make life a little easier for me and consistent for the plants.

I've put most on a trellis wire (twine with a clip). They are about 10-18" tall now from 3-8" starts.

Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1416.jpg
Views:	1298
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2775  
Old 01-28-2015, 07:18 PM

Just uploading some pics of the stages of Buds since transplanting.

First and lowest cluster: yellow and small. they fail and fall off.

Second cluster up: Green and hasn't failed yet. Still holding on, but not expanding.

Third cluster at top: Green and expanding with a stem.

Weird side note, some clusters of buds have leaves that grow on the end...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bottom Yellow.jpg
Views:	1257
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	2776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mid Better.jpg
Views:	1296
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	2777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Best.jpg
Views:	1294
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	2778  
Old 01-28-2015, 07:22 PM

These are just shots to show the overall growth. I'm please with the new growth. I'm losing the baby leaves and have more sturdy new growth coming.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1432.jpg
Views:	1339
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2779   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1433.jpg
Views:	1293
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	2780  
Old 02-04-2015, 06:20 PM

Just posting an update. I'm having a ton of bud failure. The buds are not developing into flowers. They turn yellow and brown and die. About 1/4 of the clusters have done this so far. But growth has been okay and some plants are filling out nicely while some are curling up. I ordered some new tomato seeds so hopefully the ones that don't appreciate my setup for them will be replaced with another plant who will.

Background for bud failure:
Temperatures: 75F during the day and 63F at night.
Humidity: around 35-45%
Water: Now set for 15 minute run time every two hours. It was constant 18hrs on.
Lights: HPS and MH, 16/8hrs.
Nutrients: Nutrients that MHP gardener recommended. Strength about 75%.
https://www.morgancountyseeds.com/st...&productId=487
https://www.morgancountyseeds.com/st...&productId=475
Epsom Salt picked up from Target.

Not the prettiest tomatoes, but it's a learning experience for me. Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1488.jpg
Views:	1299
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	2781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg
Views:	1323
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	2782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1494.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	2783   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1491.jpg
Views:	1267
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	2784   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg
Views:	1289
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	2785  

Old 02-04-2015, 10:39 PM

How have you been doing to try and pollinate the flowers?
Old 11-13-2015, 07:20 PM

Default Light might be your problem.

Hey using the same set up with perlite,5 gallon buckets but mine are in a greenhouse with sun light. I'm also using masterblend and adding the other two components so the only thing I can think of is light. Temp did not bother my fruit set last year and at night it got to 40° inside. These plant were set out on Sept 26.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20151102_103323.jpg
Views:	1553
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	2855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151106_063545.jpg
Views:	1525
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	2856