Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Dealing with the vines

Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 PM

Default Dealing with the vines

I have planted green beans and tomatoes in a DWC system. Changing the water has been a breeze as I fill a second tub with water and just move the lid from the old tub to the new tub... But how do I do this after the plants start growing up a trellis? What have you guys done in the past? Any pictures?

Thanks

Twilly

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garden021211 015.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	996  
Old 02-23-2011, 05:47 PM

So here is my plan to deal with the vines.... I mounted tomato cages to a 5 gal bucket lid... What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Garden021211 040.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1012  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 PM

Hello Twilly,
Actually the size of the full grown plant is my first consideration when deciding on what type of system I will grow something in, and how I will go about building it. And always thinking about durability, as well as easy maintenance. Personally I'm not a fan of using water culture systems for large plants like tomatoes for that very reason, not for any large plant that would need external support to hold the plants up. It's just to difficult to lift the plant and trellis up at the same time, and if you just lift the plant and not the trellis it's tied to, there's too much chance of damaging the plant.

I'm not sure what variety of tomato plant that is (indeterminate or determinate), but if it's a indeterminate plant, it will quickly outgrow that tomato cage. One thing that I have seen people do to make maintenance easier, is incorporating a drain plug at the bottom of the reservoir, that way they don't need to lift the plant to empty the nutrient solution. They can get out residual solution out by flushing it with plain water, then letting that drain out too. Then just close off the opening at the bottom of the reservoir, and fill it up with freshly mixed nutrient solution through a small opening in the lid (top).
Old 02-24-2011, 01:14 AM

i grow tomatoes up a twine roll with plant clips .the twine hangs on a overhead cable from the ceiling..works great .when the plant gets too tall i will lower and lean the plant. .ck. out tomahooks or tomato rollerhooks.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:41 AM

here is the best picture i have. the plants are over 5 foot tall
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0800.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1014  
Old 02-24-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
I have planted green beans and tomatoes in a DWC system. Changing the water has been a breeze as I fill a second tub with water and just move the lid from the old tub to the new tub... But how do I do this after the plants start growing up a trellis? What have you guys done in the past? Any pictures?

Thanks

Twilly
I'm building a new system right now and will post the pictures as soon as i am done for vine plants.