Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Question About Nutrients

Old 05-24-2013, 09:16 PM

Default Question About Nutrients

So, next month I plan on buying more nutrients for my plants. Right now they are in the mild growth stage. Do you think I can mix all of these in my 55 gallon drum? I actually do the calculations for 40 gallons of water to be safe.

(Mild Growth Stage)
13oz of FloraGo
6oz of FloraMicro
6oz of Florabloom
1oz of Floralicious Plus
13oz of FloraBlend

And when it comes to transition stage.

13oz of FloraGo
13oz of FloraMicro
13oz of FloraBloom
1oz of Floralicious Plus
13oz of FloraBlend
3oz of Liquid KoolBloom

I'm using the GH calculator app on the iPhone. All I buy is their brand, so I assume it would be ok to do since it's made for their mix?

Last edited by FalseFlash; 05-24-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:21 AM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

I wish I could help you but I don't use that brand. I just use a one step for vegative growth and another step for fruiting or flowering.
I do mix everything in my barrel. I just make sure the pump is off while mixing and adjusting the pH.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:40 AM

Hello FalseFlash,
I'm not really sure what the question is. Why wouldn't you be able to mix them in the 55 gal drum? That's your reservoir isn't it? You always want to mix your nutrients in your reservoir, and with the full volume of water you plan to use. That way the mineral elements wont bond from being in high concentrations before being diluted in the full volume of water. I don't know if your wanting me to double check the quantities you plan to use or not. If so that's easy enough to do. Your right the General Hydroponics nutrient calculator only works for the General Hydroponics nutrients, and each specific line of GH nutrients has it's own feed charts that are specific to it. Their not interchangeable, manufacture to manufacture, or even specific lies from one manufacture.

I don't remember for sure, but I thought you were planing to grow continuously flowering plants like tomato's. If so, there is no transition stage for continuously fruiting plants, their continuously fruiting. Meaning that they are doing both vegetative as well as fruiting stages at the same time from the very beginning of the plants life. You can give them nutrients that focus on vegetative growth, but if you want the tomato's you'll want them to flower healthy as well.

As for the quantities of the flora series nutrients, I use 10 mil (2 tsp) per gallon of all 3 (Gro, Micro, and Bloom) to make a full strength nutrients for continuously fruiting plants. So for 50 gallons it would be 500 ml, just about 2 cups (237 ml per cup). But I also generally make my nutrient solution only about 3/4 strength for full grown plants. Depending on how small they are, even 1/4 to 1/2 strength. The Floralicious Plus, FloraBlend, and Liquid KoolBloom are all just additives you don't really need but may help some if you want to spend the money. You will find that while very good nutrients, that using the GH flora series will become expensive. If you buy the 1 gal bottles of the flora series, you will need all 3 to make it work correctly, and depending on where you get it will run anywhere from $100 to $130. Using 10 mil per gallon, the 1 gal bottles will only make 390 gallons. So even if you get all 3 for $100 it costs about 25 cents a gallon. A 50 gallon reservoir will cost $12.50 each nutrient change. If you change it out every 2 weeks that's $6.25 a week. That's why I don't use them anymore, their just too expensive if you plan to grow a lot.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:25 PM

What I was trying to ask if it looks ok to add all of that to the reservoir. I calculated $167 for everything. I do use General Hydroponics, that's the only brand I use.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:04 PM

Actually, because of all that wind that's been pounding them for a week now (won't die down for 2 more days) I've been slowly losing them. All the peppers are dying from the beating and the tomatoes are breaking in half, so I may just replace it with bareroot strawberry plants if it's not too late.

I did what I could to secure them.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:32 AM

I guess I still don't understand because you can add anything you want o your reservoir. There are no laws that restrict what you put in it. At least not in my country.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
I guess I still don't understand because you can add anything you want o your reservoir. There are no laws that restrict what you put in it. At least not in my country.
lol never mind, sorry for the confusion