Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

mini greenhouse?

Old 04-15-2010, 08:10 PM

Default mini greenhouse?

I have 6 cuttings and 2 poppy plants on a foam raft that sits about 3 inches off the water, once i put the slotted cups with the cuttings and plants into the foam they sit about 1/4 of an inch off the water,

everything works great on the system, i have plenty of air being pumped through the water,

what if i put little plastic domes over each plant to keep the air very humid around each plant? my thought is it will act as a mini greenhouse, or fry the plants either one. what are your thoughts, if any one is even on this site to respond

i have the domes on there already but just did it today so i am waiting to see how it works out, they are sitting under a 400w mh

Old 04-15-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
my thought is it will act as a mini greenhouse, or fry the plants either one. what are your thoughts,
It depends on the setup. It will certainly hold in the moisture. But depending on how far they are from the heat source, they may hold in too much heat also. But I wouldn't have it that way to long, because the leaves need air circulation also. If there is not enough fresh air under the plastic domes, the plants wont be able to pull enough co2 out of the air.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:49 PM

I thought about that but then i thought that the air from the air pump has to be replenishing the air inside the domes, i have the clay pellets as a medium

so you think as long as the air flow is there and is sufficient it would be benificial?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:52 AM

As long as you have sufficient air circulation you should be OK, but you are the only one that can see if it is getting the air circulation it needs. There should be some air holes in the plastic dome to allow for the actual circulation, assuming enough air is coming up through the growing medium to provide that circulation, otherwise it just becomes a air pocket. Also the air circulation should help provide cooler air under the domes. Although I would think it would be easier, and better to have one dome covering all of them, instead of one for each individual plant.

There are other elements that plants get directly from air other than co2, but but as long as you have good air circulation you should be fine there. I am not familiar with the heat and humidity needs of the plants your growing (as well as the growing conditions). But if it were me, I would not create the plastic dome over all of them. Perhaps on half of them, and keep track on how they are doing, and go from there.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:06 PM

Default the results are in

I started my experiment the day i put this up - 4/15 to 4/26

you be the judge... The plants in the "mini green house" are about twice the size - the negitive - no root growth out of the bottom

the plants outside of the green house -promising root growth
the negitive - no top growth at all.

I KEEP GETTING UPLOAD FAILURE WITH MY PICS
Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 PM

I don't know what the problem with the pictures are. Are you using the "manage attachments" button, then browsing to the file, then clicking the upload bottom? Large pictures (file sizes) can take a while to upload, especially when doing many at a time.
Quote:
The plants in the "mini green house" are about twice the size - the negitive - no root growth out of the bottom
Interesting, the tops of the plant would not be growing if the root system was not getting what they needed. Also that would seem to indicate that the tops don't mind the mini greenhouse enviroment. As long as the plants continue to look healthy I would just stick to what's working.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:25 AM

pics,

i had to crop them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plantlife 027.jpgcrop.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	743   Click image for larger version

Name:	plantlife 001.jpg.crop.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	98.9 KB