Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Hydroponic Spinach

Old 08-04-2014, 05:04 PM

Default Hydroponic Spinach

I am looking at setting up a hydroponic rail system in my basement using led grow lights and I have a full spectrum fluorescent fixture as well. I am hoping that having my crop in-doors will keep the bugs away.

I just ordered a bunch of materials (clay rocks, small water pump, food grade 1/4" hosing and an led grow light). I am just first getting into this.

Where I live, it costs about $5 for a 10 ounce bag of fresh kosher (bug free - lab grown) spinach. Considering that I consume a bag a day, it adds up to a lot of money. I am hoping this will be cost effective.

Will it be cost effective if I do this as a hobby? Can I expect no bugs? Do infestations occur commonly?

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2014, 05:39 AM

Growing indoors reduces the risk of pests and may make it easier to controle, but is not a guarantee. Haven't you never seen any bugs inside your house (ants, roaches, moths, flys etc.), bugs can still get in unless the space is absolutely air tight. Cost effective is in the details, the materials you choose to use, nutrients, testers, pH adjusters, not to mention where you get them from, how you install and/or use them etc. Also how you put everything together, and if you thought about and planed for the details. One person can spend a fortune to grow plants, and another may spend very little to grow the same plants. First thought I have from what you said is LED is nice, but not worth the money yet to me. Perhaps as supplemental lighting to target a specific spectrum of light if you used LED ropes, but not as a primary light source. Especially for the type of plant you said you plan to grow.

But in general crops like lettuce and spinach grow quickly, don't require a lot of light, and have high turnover. Making them a high value crop (profitable) for commercial growers. As long as you don't spend a lot of unnecessary money it should be just as high value for you too.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:23 PM

Thanks GPS!

The kind of bugs I am worried about are the thrips (little bugs that you can barely see). What makes spinach kosher is whether or not there are bugs present on the spinach that can be seen with the unaided eye. So, for example, those little thrips and bugs that size, they are hard to see but can be seen but you have to look real close for them. But, just like you said, if you get roaches and moths in your house, I bet I can get thrips too. But there is a reduced likelihood. Thanks for reply. I found your information very useful.

I am going to look at getting more fluorescent fixtures and bulbs for now as with the lights I have now, it will not be enough.