Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Floating raft system question

Old 06-04-2010, 01:03 PM

Default Floating raft system question

A couple of questions regarding the styrofoam used in this type of system. Is there a "good" foam versus a "bad" type of foam? My thinking is related to possible chemical degradation of the foam from UV, age or ??? Would a normal home center have, or art supply store? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 PM

Like in most things UV degrades most things, but any Styrofoam that is UV resistant is likely to be expensive. But I have never herd of any problems using regular home Styrofoam insulation, in fact the Styrofoam around one of the trash cans I used as a reservoir last summer has been sitting outside in direct sunlight all year and has no discoloration from UV yet. If you were worried I would just use a spray adhesive and line the top with a white plastic trash can bag. Personally I would not even bother. Even if I was worried, as the plants grow they will shade the top of the Styrofoam anyway. I get my Styrofoam from the local home improvement stores, they use it for home insulation. Here it comes in 1/2 inch, 1 inch, and 2 inch thick sheets.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:25 AM

Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to watercatwn6535nd

I use to grow like this all the time. i used styrafoam that they package meats on at the super market. lots of styles from plates to cups to bowls. i also use to make floating islands out of expanding foam and foaming in net pots. they do this for huge islands for ponds.