Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

Nutrient Lock-out???!

Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 AM

Question Nutrient Lock-out???!

Detailed information on nutrient Lock-out, please???!!! How do you know if you may have nutrient lock-out? This is why you're supposed to read directions (haha). When I started with the three-part Flora series; thought I was just supposed to add Floragro until the plants were ready to bloom before I start adding florabloom and them didn't know what floramicro was for. Within a few days after looking at back of bottle, realized I was to add all three at same time. Of course, did it backwards. Added micro last. Replaced nutrients last Sunday for first time, and added micro last again. Got two setups: Fish tank without fish (growing lettuce & some broccoli). Plants look great w/ a little stretching. This is third week and they're at 3". 2nd setup is in a tupperware with misters to 6 plants (4 corn, 1 tom., 1 cucum). 1 corn seed is 4", 2 others are sprouts and the rest, don't think they like the water. Anyway, my question is: Once locked-out, always locked-out?!! Do I have to start over with new seeds? Can I replace nutrients and see if that works. What are some of the signs of lock-out. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisawoodard09@comcast.net View Post
Detailed information on nutrient Lock-out, please???!!! How do you know if you may have nutrient lock-out? This is why you're supposed to read directions (haha). When I started with the three-part Flora series; thought I was just supposed to add Floragro until the plants were ready to bloom before I start adding florabloom and them didn't know what floramicro was for. Within a few days after looking at back of bottle, realized I was to add all three at same time. Of course, did it backwards. Added micro last. Replaced nutrients last Sunday for first time, and added micro last again. Got two setups: Fish tank without fish (growing lettuce & some broccoli). Plants look great w/ a little stretching. This is third week and they're at 3". 2nd setup is in a tupperware with misters to 6 plants (4 corn, 1 tom., 1 cucum). 1 corn seed is 4", 2 others are sprouts and the rest, don't think they like the water. Anyway, my question is: Once locked-out, always locked-out?!! Do I have to start over with new seeds? Can I replace nutrients and see if that works. What are some of the signs of lock-out. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
I also use the Flora series nutrients and I haven't really worried the order that I added them. I mostly just make sure that I don't pre mix them before adding them to the water and mix it up a little after I have added each one. Though I am sure it is best to fallow what the directions say. As far as the question about nutrient lock out, I would think the plants should recover after you changed the nutrient solution but I cant really say that for sure. You can e-mail tech support for General Hydroponics tech@genhydro.com that question and I am sure they can give you the best answer. They usually e-mail me back within 24 hours.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:12 PM

Hi,
Most 2- or 3 component nutrients come in components for a reason. The reason is that some of the chemicals may (actually would) react when mixed together at (certain) high concentration. The components I know of are calcium nitrate and calcium chloride, but there may be others. Those will react with sulfates and decompose calcium to a non-soluble calcium. In some cases trace elements come in a single (third) component to assure a better chemical stability of chelates. Although this is not common, some (as a classical or modified hoagland formula) come with that third component.

In your case I don't see how adding them in a wrong order versus adding them at once may have affected your nutrient solution in a way that it gets screwed up to have lockout. Actually the component which contains chemicals that are supposed to highly react with others (calcium nitrate and calcium chloride for instance) should be added first- in order to assure that they are diluted first and thus their reaction potential is 'neutralized' first. As in A and B for some two component programs. From my understanding the order is recommended by logic, but not by strict necessity. And from my logical understanding and knowledge, there should be no difference between adding them at once or in a "wrong" order anyway!

In case of surely diagnosed nutrient lockout (due to chemical reactions in the nutrient solution), nutrient should be replaced instantly. Roots should be cleaned and watered, the setup flushed and cleaned as well. Combined foliar spray may help the plants to recover more quickly and before nutrients are absorbed normally again. Foliar spray should focus on immobile elements (mainly Calcium, Iron, Zink and Copper)

PS: there may be various other reasons for nutrient lockout - I only focussed on this case. It's always advised to strictly follow manufacturers instructions and guidelines.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Luches; 08-14-2009 at 10:40 PM.