Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

My First Deep Water Culture

Old 12-18-2010, 09:33 PM

Default My First Deep Water Culture

Finally broke free from other obligations and built a couple DWC's.

I cannot seem to get the video to correctly "embed", but it is posted to the blog.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:25 AM

Hello halfway,
I saw the video, it looks like it's like a nice simple setup, and should work great. You don't even need to light proof them because of the color and thickness of the plastic from what you said. Looks like you will have a nice supply of lots of good lettuce. I think I may have asked you this before but don't remember. You mentioned using silica stone for a growing medium, and that it's porous. Where do you get it? Is it pH stable? Is it easily available and less expensive than traditional grow rocks?
Old 12-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Hello halfway,
I saw the video, it looks like it's like a nice simple setup, and should work great. You don't even need to light proof them because of the color and thickness of the plastic from what you said. Looks like you will have a nice supply of lots of good lettuce. I think I may have asked you this before but don't remember. You mentioned using silica stone for a growing medium, and that it's porous. Where do you get it? Is it pH stable? Is it easily available and less expensive than traditional grow rocks?
It is Sunleaves silica stone. It normally costs about the same as hydroton and is easily reusable. I could have went with a cheaper medium, but with the expected life, ease of use, absorption etc., it seemed to be pretty efficient. I caught it on sale cheaper than hydroton, so that sealed the deal for a large bag that will last me many years.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the reply halfway. I don't have a hydroponics store in town, so I am always looking for growing mediums that I don't need to have shipped in. It usually cost just about as much to ship that stuff as it does for the product. Some places give free shipping but you usually need to spend $200 or more. Anyhow I will be on the lookout for the Sunleaves silica stone, and see if any of the local nursery carry it or at least can get it without charging me shipping.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM

Up and running. The starts have finally sprouted their first "true" leaves, so in the system they went.

Nutrients are at 1/2 strength (10 mil/gallon). The rockwool cubes are about 1/8" into the solution. I am curious to see how fast the roots will dive into the solution.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:39 PM

First update. The roots are looking great and getting very long inside the res. The color, as with the last batch, is a lighter shade of green during this stage of growth. That confirms the assumption that it is the lettuce and not environmental.

I have made no changes to PH other than the initial slight change. I like the DWC already!!