Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Legal Cannabis Medical Grow

Old 05-12-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Well actually yes. The sun itself doesn't change spectrum's, but the distance from the earth, the elevation in the sky, as well as the atmosphere itself all play a part in the light spectrum that the reaches earth. This means that the time of year and the season affect the spectrum. During mid summer there's more blue spectrum of light (depending on your location on the planet). In the fall because the sun is lower in the sky, and the part the atmosphere plays in the light spectrum that reaches the earth, there's more of the red spectrum of light. The sun and the earth don't do this just for the sake of the plants, but plants have just evolved to adapt to their environment (like all life on the planet).

A myth is only a myth if you don't agree, or in the way you interpret the results. That is such a general statement, it's flawed from the beginning. Not all plants have the same requirements, also take either spectrum completely out of the picture (red or blue), and you likely wont have good results no mater what (depending on the plants your growing). Simply lumping all plants into one category is comparing grapes and oranges (flawed). Although from everything I have read, I don't believe that using just hps during flowering would give the best results. If it were me and I had the money, I would use MH during vegetative growth, and both MH and HPS during flowering. Also from what I have read, the full spectrum bulbs aren't what what the manufactures crack them up to be, as well as the combination MH and HPS bulbs (much like led manufactures do). If I didn't have the money for both, I would go with MH. The plants will still flower, although yield and quality likely wont be the same (again depending on the specific plants your growing).

P.S.
I keep hearing about all this research, but have yet to see any of it. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't trust any research I cant see. Otherwise you simply cant evaluate how the research was done, the objectiveness of the results and/or conclusions, nor the credibility of who conducted it. So just saying this is the results of research is meaningless to me (much like that job offer that says they'll call you, but never does). Simply doesn't help.
well said, as you say the lighting is preferential, but it is in black and white. metal halide for veg, hps for flower, 20 hours for veg, 12 hours for flower.
the results of any experiments using both light at once or even having 24 hours of light are for the user. it is called "years of experience".

Old 05-12-2011, 11:00 AM

"but it is in black and white. metal halide for veg, hps for flower"

Almost every professional production greenhouse disagrees with you, at least the ones I've been in from Morocco to Australia.

Even the company making Sativex uses PURE MH all the way through for cultivating their cannabis. Why? The company doesn't like etiolation (most commercial operations hate it,) and green wavelengths interfere with the production of THC. This I have noticed as well. Plants under LED are way more potent than the same strain grown under HPS.

"20 hours for veg"

Very few places on the planet even get that amount of light and the best cellular division rates occur after 5 hours of darkness, while the majority of nutrient transport happens.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophotobio View Post
"but it is in black and white. metal halide for veg, hps for flower"

Almost every professional production greenhouse disagrees with you, at least the ones I've been in from Morocco to Australia.

Even the company making Sativex uses PURE MH all the way through for cultivating their cannabis. Why? The company doesn't like etiolation (most commercial operations hate it,) and green wavelengths interfere with the production of THC. This I have noticed as well. Plants under LED are way more potent than the same strain grown under HPS.

"20 hours for veg"

Very few places on the planet even get that amount of light and the best cellular division rates occur after 5 hours of darkness, while the majority of nutrient transport happens.

20 hours of veg,
exactly, we force the plants to grow, i know for a fact that 20/24 lighting is the best for veg, who cares what nature does, the plants are forced to abide by nature in the wild, we have been chopping and changing the hours for 23 years, i also know that led is not up to scratch with a 1000w met hal, or 1000w hps, you can talk to the ends of the earth, i know what i know. i think it will be about another 5 years before low wattage lighting reaches a level that will surpass high wattage, if possible at all. i would say maybe by 2015 at earliest, if low wattage led lamps were that good, the whole cannabis community online would be very excited indeed, and i imagine that to be a lot of people.
i am not here to argue with you about your amazing led lights, the led Illuminator pro 350 watt cost $1000, and that is way over my head for common sense considering you get a few low wattage lights and that is all. i am here to find help with hydroponics, and the matter is finished.
you use led, i use hid. fine.

Last edited by WeeGogs; 05-12-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:52 AM

"i know for a fact that 20/24 lighting is the best for veg"

I'm going to pull a GPS here and say "show me the study and re-creatable experiment."

"i also know that led is not up to scratch with a 1000w met hal, or 1000w hps"

1000w of LED will destroy 1000w HID all day long. Wait for my new quantum meter order and I'll be happy to demonstrate the superiority of LED in EVERY possible measure. I have access to the right equipment to safely say you're not talking any amount of truth.

YouTube - Commercial Grow using LED Grow Lights

That guy and his massive LED buds will tell you the exact same thing.

You're simply not talking any amount of truth, here. THAT is black and white.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
1000w of LED will destroy 1000w HID all day long.
But will destroy your wallet as well, and with not even any benefit of lower energy consumption from lighting (that's the manufactures best argument for product sales). 1000 watts is 1000 watts, thus costs the same to run.

Quote:
You're simply not talking any amount of truth, here. THAT is black and white.
I have already posted my reply to these statements in another thread.

http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/for....html#post7133

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 05-16-2011 at 04:34 AM.