Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Newbie... Timeline

Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 PM

Default Newbie... Timeline

I have just started a 10 site horizontal constant flow system, I bought some chilled seascape strawberry plugs, and I am growing them under metal halide light ( 13 hrs on ). I am using GH Maxigrow nutrients ( 1 1/2tea per gal ).

I am at the 2 week point, and I am not seeing much change. I guess I just need a timeline. When should I start seeing something green? Flowers? Fruit? Any other tips?

Thanks for everyones help, this forum is great

Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 PM

Can you post some pictures with some details on how your system is set up? Bare root plugs need some time to come out of dormancy and begin growing again.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:58 PM

I also forgot to mention the additional florescent lights... And the 5 gal bucket is a blueberry plant...

So if they are dormant, how long will it take to wake up?

Thanks for the fast reply...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-01-17 19.23.54a.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	966  
Old 01-19-2011, 10:26 PM

If they are still just dormant (and likely are), how long they take to wake up has many factors, most important would be sufficient moisture to the roots, water temp, and air temp. I cant tell those from the picture, also it looks like a NFT design but could easily be a flood and drain setup also. If it is a NFT system, it's likely the roots are not getting enough moisture. In a NFT setup just the ends of the roots would be getting any moisture, instead of the whole root-ball. I simply can't tell much from the one picture. Also how old are the plugs? Were they stored properly before planting?

P.S. I have some pdf. files that I can post about growing strawberry's if would like me to.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:51 PM

It is a NTF system, homemade but I used a lazerline spray tube. The air and water temp is around 72 degrees. I have the water level set so the net pot is about 1 inch in the water. I bought the plugs from Berries Unlimited and they where cold when I got them. Dont know the age. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Twilly
Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 PM

If you just bought and received the plugs before planting them, it would be reasonable to assume they were stored properly, and not too old. If I understand correctly it is setup as a NFT system with an adjustable water level that is set so about one inch of the growing medium is always submerged. If so the roots may be getting waterlogged if they are too saturated.

Personally I would have started the plants in a different setup using different means, then transplanted them into the system when they began growing good roots. I think it would just be easier that way. However they should still grow. the water temp is good, although they would probably wake up faster if the air temp was about 80-85 degrees.

As for information I have come across in the past

Here is a thread I started a while ago about strawberry's http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/for...erry-info.html
Berry Bonanza: Growing Indoor Strawberries
Guide for growing hydroponic strawberries
Strawberry Diseases and their Control
Strawberry Plug Plant Production (pdf.)
Cell size in trays for the production of strawberry plug transplants (pdf.)
The Development and Demonstration of an Outdoor Hydroponic Specialty Crop Production (pdf.)
Strawberry Production in Florida (pdf.)
strawberry grown in a pine bark soilless medium (pdf.)

I have more pdf.'s downloaded to my computer but cant find the exact live links any longer. But that's probably enough for now anyway. The first two articles by Dr. Lynette Morgan is probably the best reading though. Let me know if that helps and updated on the progress.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 01-21-2011 at 03:19 AM.