Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

Drip System with Grodan (Like Rockwool)

Old 03-08-2011, 05:29 PM

Default Drip System with Grodan (Like Rockwool)

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Drip-based hydroponics but was told it would do better with my lettuce than my current Ebb & Flow System.

My current setup is simple, I have a 30 gal plastic container (blue to prevent light leak, non transparent). In the top I have cut holes and inserterted net-pots. Inside the net pots I have Grodan Delta cubes. I have a drip stake in each one.

On the left side I have the pump (in the container) and a line that runs up, over the container and eventually exits back into the right side in a new hole. Along the line are several drip lines, each runs to a block.

In this manner, once the pump is switched on, the plants recieve nutrients, all the remained drip back down into the reservoir. The line that runs back into the other side, deposits the extra water not forced into the drip lines, the pump is a bit stronger than needed but I figure this will help add oxygen to the water anyway, and one day when I expand it I can use the same pump.

I want to grow lettuce. Gourmet lettuce. I am thinking a pH of 6.0 to 6.8 and to keep my nutrients at 1/4 for the first week, then 1/2 and once the plants have a decent root system then full.

I also think I would turn on the system 1-2 times a day to start for just several minutes. This is because I don't want to overflood the small plants. Once it gets going, turn it on 4 times a day during sunny hours.

The climate here is good, 65-70 at night and 80-90 in the day.

Do you think this will work? I have the setup built but am debating.... it sounds like it will work to me. Any feedback?

Thank you