Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Water Level Indicators

Old 07-13-2010, 10:52 AM

Default Water Level Indicators

Where can I get some? I'm working with hydroculture and have had so much difficulty finding water level indicators that I'm just flying by the seat of my pants with my opaque containers. So far, attempts to design my own have been less than satisfactory.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:32 PM

Don't know if this solution will work for you, but you could get a 1/2 inch grommet, a 90 degree elbow, and transparent tubing (1/2 inch by whatever the height you need is). Drill a hole for the grommet toward the bottom of the rez. Stand the tube upright. Place a piece of PVC over it to keep light out and prevent algae. Just slip off the PVC tube when you want to check the level. It also doubles as a great drain tube when you turn it to the side or as an easy way to take a sample to test the solution without opening the rez. If the rez is also the pot the plant is in, this method is ideal so that you don't have to guess. It's what I do. I didn't come up with the idea. I got it from the GH water farm setup. The PVC cover was from the local hydro store. They do that on their water farms.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 PM

Like these, except I don't have the PVC covers on the tubing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2193.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	845  
Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 PM

I may misunderstand what you mean. My water levels are below the planting medium (Hydroton in my case), so I'm not sure how a clear tube down in the medium will indicate water levels above the medium.

I tried PVC pipe with notches cut in the bottom. I inserted cork and a bamboo skewer with the expectation that the cork would rise and fall with the water and I could tell how much water I had by how high the bamboo skewer sat. Unfortunately, the skewers are too heavy for the cork. I need a lighter weight material that will rise and fall with the water level and can be viewed from above the planting medium.

I have seen water level indicators that are available commercially, but I can not find a place to purchase them.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:49 PM

You might not have had a chance to look at the above pic. I had a feeling I didn't explain it well. Sorry. The tube is on the outside. You view the water level from the side. See, if you fill the bucket (or rez) with solution, the level will also show on the tubing on the outside.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:50 PM

Oh, and I'm not talking about the clear air tube in the pic going to the medium. I'm talking about the blue tubes on the sides. I neglected to clarify.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:47 PM

Oh, I think I see now. That looks like a really good idea. However, I'm not sure I can do that with some of my "pots". Since I'm doing hydroculture, I'm using a wide variety of items as pots (why stick to boring planters if there is no drainage issue?), such as old stoneware and antique mason jars that I either can't effectively drill a hole in or just plain won't drill a hole in.

Any ideas for an indicator that has to sit in the pot?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 AM

Can you provide pictures?
Old 07-14-2010, 06:00 PM

Adventures in Hydroculture

I have several pictures of plants in Hydroton in various jars and crockery there. Sago is in a crock. Heather and the Maters are in jars. There are category listings in the right hand column that will take you to posts for each of those.

Yes, I name my plants.