Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Ec & ppm

Old 09-28-2009, 07:17 AM

Question Ec & ppm

I dun no wat is ec & ppm

Old 09-28-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowie2003 View Post
I dun no wat is ec & ppm
(EC) Electro-Conductivity
(PPM) Parts per million

Both are slightly different but but do essentially the same thing. They are both a way of measuring the strength of your nutrient solution. Here is a page that shows you these values for many Hydroponically grown Vegetables as well as the pH levels (the degree of acidity or alkalinity of a liquid solution).
Old 09-29-2009, 02:12 AM

The main difference between PPM and EC is that:

1. With the EC (electrical conductivity) you express (measures) the strength of the nutrient solution in its total. Basically there is no way to know (or measure) content of single elements compounds (NPK, Ca, Mg, S, etc..)

2. With PPM either the amount of single components or the total amount of "parts per million" (strenght) of a nutrient solution is measured or expressed.
Example of a formula:

N=180 PPM
P=50 PPM
K=250 PPM
Mg=50 PPM
Ca=180 PPM

1 PPM means 1 milligram (of the respective element) contained in 1 Liter (water) respectively 1 gram contained in 1000 liter.
Most importantly: PPM refers to the ACTUAL value in molecular weight (actual elemental content), while classical NPK formulas don't.

Last edited by Luches; 09-29-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:24 AM

how much is the ppm test pen
Old 09-29-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowie2003 View Post
how much is the ppm test pen
There is no such thing as a "ppm test pen", at least to my knowledge. PPM of every element varies and hence cannot be measured (unlike EC) as a total concentration. PPM can only be calculated accurately from each element's molecular weight and content in a raw material or component. If you are looking for EC or TDS Meter (instrument), you should make your own online search specifically for your country, region and your own currency...

Sorry to be that blunt, Dear - but this is actually not the lazy people's hotline!

I am willing to answer any decently formulated (and basically intelligible) question though, that can not be found or googled easily and in a minute.
Thanks for the understanding.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luches View Post
There is no such thing as a "ppm test pen", at least to my knowledge. PPM of every element varies and hence cannot be measured (unlike EC) as a total concentration. PPM can only be calculated accurately from each element's molecular weight and content in a raw material or component. If you are looking for EC or TDS Meter (instrument), you should make your own online search specifically for your country, region and your own currency...

Sorry to be that blunt, Dear - but this is actually not the lazy people's hotline!

I am willing to answer any decently formulated (and basically intelligible) question though, that can not be found or googled easily and in a minute.
my country i dun see any people planting hydropincs
Old 12-06-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luches View Post

This was a VERY poor answer to the question.

To begin with EC, TDS, and PPM all measure the same thing. They measure EC. The major difference is how they report the reading. EC is EC not matter what meter you are using, whereas PPM/TDS will vary from meter to meter. There is a conversion factor involved with PPM/TDS. The 3 conversion factors are .5, .6 and .7. Mine uses a factor of .68. When a nute lists the PPM/TDS strength in their product is in important to note what factor they are using and adjust accordingly. I use GH Florenova nutes and GH's chart call for a factor of .5 my meter uses a factor of .68, so my reading will be off and I adjust according to how well the plants are doing. If I see leaf burn I will back off a little, I am growing celery in a DWC, and spinach in an E&F. i adjust the nutes to about 950-1000 PPM.

And yes they do make PPM/TDS pens I have one, it uses a factor of .5.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Meter_1_2.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Meter_2_2.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	291