Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Progress and Frustrations

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
This is the part I have trouble withUnless they were talking about a specific variety rather than in general. Because pepper plants don't stop growing once they start to flower. That's not to say there is no merit to the whole statement in general. But that would mean the pepper plants you have were full size at this point. When actually they can/will get ten times that size, with peppers growing all along the way. I also don't think pruning it back would keep it from wanting to grow vegetation, unless you pruned it in the right places to keep it from growing anything new. But that wont stop it from wanting to, as I see it.
I don't think the intent was to suggest pruning would stop growth....but merely stunt/slow it for a time allowing the plant to divert some of that growing energy to flowering energy instead. I certainly don't have a PhD in botany or anything like that so I can't sit here and say it's 100% true, but I've uncovered other research that supports this idea as well so it was at least not something I'm willing to totally dismiss either.
I know my plants aren't "mature" by any means (they were still just seeds in little manila envelopes barely 3 months ago), but I also think you might be over estimating potential growth. Various sources, plant encyclopedias, etc all suggest that most of the plants I'm growing will average a "mature size" ranging between 2 to 4 feet. The bhut and habaneros I've seen estimated a bit larger than that, but not dramatically so. You're suggesting they will grow to 10+ feet and I just don't know they will get that large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Ya, the interweb is a great source for information, but you need to use some common scene and not just believe everything you find on it.
Yeah...that was merely an attempt at a joke.