Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Newbie question

Old 06-02-2013, 08:21 PM

Default Newbie question

Hi
I'm new to hydroponics and have a question about reusing nutrients that have been drained from the reservoir in an ebb & flow system. Can the drained nutes be reused for watering a outdoor soil garden. I realize the nutes will not be as potant but hate to waste water. Thanks in advance for any info.
Smokestn13

Old 06-02-2013, 09:25 PM

Yes, absolutely. The nutrients will do your soil plants good.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the reply Gps, like I stated before I am new at hydro and looking forward to growing right. My wife and I are long time gardeners in soil. Growing in soil we never really tested for PH, nutes, etc. I purchased aTDS-EZ to test the water and understand the ppm concept but wonder if this perticular meter was the right purchase, are you fimilar with the TDS-EZ or a TDS meter in general? Can I use it to test PH. Or should i look for a dedicated PH teaster? I appreciate any info you can offer.
Thanks again
Smokes
Old 06-04-2013, 07:29 AM

Hello smokestn13,
No I cant say I'm familiar with the PPM meter you have. I can tell you that in all the years I have been growing hydroponically, I haven't bothered with EC, TDS, or PPM meters. I can also tell you if I did want to, I would prefer to use a EC meter rather than a TDS or PPM meter. But unless it specifies that it does both testing pH and what other (EC, TDS, PPM) measurements you want, it only does what the directions says it does.

Some electronic meters are combination meters, but if it were you would know it. I use General hydroponics pH drops to test pH. Regardless of what the guy at the hydro shop tells you, the drops are consistently more accurate than any meter, don't need special care or calibration, wont give false results, and you can get them just about anywhere for between $6 and $8. They will last you for well over 6 months if you use them right. The EC, TDS, PPM meters cant tell me the only thing I want to know, what the levels of each individual element is. They can only tell you the total amount of them all added up. Leaving you to guess what the individual levels are. I can guess without a meter. It's simpler to just make sure your nutrient solution is balanced. And if you fallow the manufactures directions as a guide, you can easily judge the relative (total) strength withough't a electronic meter.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 06-05-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:36 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the response GPS,
Smokes