Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

Solution changing formula

Old 05-02-2010, 11:01 PM

Default Solution changing formula

I've put together a bucket system similar to the one at the link:

http://www.hydroponics-simplified.co...ubbler-pdf.pdf

My tomato plant is doing fine.

The link mentions the "50% method" for changing the water/nutrients solution. I've been unable to locate any further information on this method.

Is this the best method considering the system?

What alternative methods are there?

Old 05-03-2010, 05:21 AM

I think your referring to dumping 50% of the nutrients, then replacing it with the same amount of fresh nutrient solution. Not sure if that's weekly, or every other week. But every gardener seems to have there own opinions. I would suggest for the new gardener to replace 100% of the nutrients every week (or two) to start with, and observe the plants growth. Then experiment with different nutrient changing schedules. That way you will have a good idea of what to look for, and if you notice singes of the plant growth slowing down, or nutrient deficiency, then change it more frequently. I don't think the type of system matters much. It's more about how big the plants are, how big the nutrient reservoir is, and how fast the nutrients are being depleted from the nutrient solution that makes the biggest difference. But observation is going to be your best indicator, so observe them every day.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:39 AM

At the same site as the bubbler plans, look for "Getting Started" and then "nutrients" (about halfway down the page). I used that method with my 4 gal, 11 container, pvc pipe/bottle ebb & flow system last year with moderate success. I'm going to try it again this year since last year was my first experience with hydro and I'm still learning what I'm doing!

Basically, she's saying to top up your solution with only pH adjusted water as it goes down, and when you have topped up with 50% of the original volume (ie. 2gals in a 4gal sys) then you let the solution deplete without topping up until it's still above the pump level (so your pots still stay completely flooded) before you flush & mix a completely new batch.

It seemed to work well for me but for 1/2 the season I wasn't flooding/draining frequently enough for my outdoor sys in the summer sun, and my yield was mediocre. I also waited 1/2 season before I finally bought a combo EC/pH/TDS/PPM meter. Once I had the meter, the 50% method seemed to keep everything in the ballpark so I stayed with it. This year I'm also going to pay more attention to changing to a blooming/fruiting solution when needed, which I waited too long to do last year.

Last edited by JD4x4; 06-04-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: urls redirect wrong
Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to watercatwn6535nd

Your real issue will end up being your tank is to small. if you can put your hands on aplastic 55 gallon barrel and use that as a nute tank the whole world will open up to you. dump 1 gallon every day and use a fish tank air pump. keep the barrel out of the sun and heat. underground or wrap it in a foil blanket.