Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

compact flourescent lamp

Old 06-05-2009, 07:00 PM

Default compact flourescent lamp

Good day ron! can i use compact flourescent bulb for indoor hydroponics? tnx and Godbless....

Old 06-23-2009, 08:48 AM

Absolutely. Depending on what your growing and what growing conditions are CFLs can sometimes do a better job than HID. If theres something you need to know feel free to PM me with any questions. Peace
Old 06-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Default good day!

i am planning to use those commercially available cfl that was being use for house lighting. will it emit much heat than that of HID n metal halide bulb? how many watts will i use for my hydroponic lettuce? pepper n pak choy? tnx for your time and Godbless....
Old 06-23-2009, 05:57 PM

Again as I stated before it depends on a number of factors. First, the number of plants to be grown and second, the size of the space your working with. cfl's do put out a fairly decent amount of heat but not so much that you cant cool them in a cabinet. I currently have 5 X 23 watt CFLs in my cabinet and the temp fluctuates from 79F to 81F. If you would like more info please specify the size of the area you are trying to light as well as the number of plants you will growing. Peace
Old 06-23-2009, 08:56 PM

Default hello

i am planning to build at least 1 meter by 1/2 meter table size. maybe it will contain 16 lettuce plant. i am using a modified system almost same as floating raft. does any system will have effect on the effectivity of CFL?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 PM

This system doesnt really have any influence on the effects of the CFL's unless your taking into account the plant spacing. The table your building will have a square footage of about 5.4, I recommend roughly 55 watts per square foot. Your table will require roughly 300 Watts of lighting. Now this is the actual wattage and not the incandescent replacement wattage. I would say your going to need about 7 42 watt CLF's to provide the needed amount of light to grow those 16 plants on your table. Alternatively you can use 12 of the standard 26W CLF's. Hope that helps.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:49 AM

Default adjustable light

Check out the adjustable stand Jiffy light with timer
https://ferrymorse.com/collections/hydroponic-growing-1