Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

healthy sprouts have dwindled and died

Old 02-04-2009, 08:28 AM

Default healthy sprouts have dwindled and died

ron, last september i purchased a 1000w sunagro light for my eb-flow system(s). since this purchase, many generations of healthy sprouts have dwindled and died by the time they should have been ready to pick and eat. It's been eight months, and now the life of the bulb will be questioned...but i don't believe it's the life of the bulb. I believe there is something genuinely wrong with the spectrum or the quality of the light being emitted. I have grown hydroponics for many years now with metal halides and this is the first time i made the switch to a high pressure sodium. I have questioned everything (pH, fertilizer, quality of clones, ventilation, insects, ........), and I have still no answer as to why my once buldging tomatoes now look like cherry tomatoes by the end of the flowering cycle. I honestly believe it is the light I purchased. With the price of the light close to 500 smackers and all the electricity and time wasted, my faith in my favorite hobby is soon to be lost. So, my question to you is...

Have you ever heard of a high-pressure sodium light (sunagro to be specific) having a faulty spectrum (maybe showing a visible light that is possibly too red?

I contacted the dealer and he insisted that out of 17 years he has never heard of this problem before. But, i think the dealers are full of shit and they often times try to remedy the most pressing problems by getting you to buy their other products which don't even have enough evidence of being any type of help. I can give you a list of all the shit i've bought to fix this problem (ionizers, box fans, co2, bug repelents, hormone boosters, shock resisters, ......)

I am fed up spending the money on such a rewardless hobby. Help, before it's too late!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:29 AM

Because hps lights are at the red end of the light spectrum and are more for flowering I can understand having a problem in your early growth stages of your plants but not threw the flowering stage.
I would add a 400 MH on a sun circle to cover any missing light spectrum. But that means spending more money.