Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

My NFT system

Old 03-13-2010, 01:06 PM

Default My NFT system

Just a pic of my newly built NFT/PVC pipe system, growing Pak Choi, Tatsoi, Chard and peas at the right side. Also have a bucket dr ip system in the background where I am currently growing cauliflower, broccoli and summer ball pumpkin which has just started flowering, gotta love zone 10

And the roots of the Pak Choi

Old 03-13-2010, 04:16 PM

looks nice.. how old are those? were you at?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardomachado View Post
looks nice.. how old are those? were you at?
I think they are about 6 weeks, I have a terrible memory and am bad at keeping dates, after christmas sometime and that pic was actually taken 3 weeks ago.

I am on a small Island in the middle of the mediterranean
Old 03-13-2010, 04:42 PM

they look great!! .. Im in Puerto Rico
Old 03-13-2010, 05:16 PM

The plants all look like they are all doing well, and the roots look quite healthy also. Looks like you made the holes in the tubing just big enough to hold a 1 inch (or 1.5 inch rockwool cube in place. I like that idea, eliminating baskets and more growing medium. The only thing I would be worried about is if it choked off the base of the plant if they grew wider than the hole. Any issues with that? Are the end caps removable for cleaning the inside of the tubes?
Old 03-14-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
The plants all look like they are all doing well, and the roots look quite healthy also. Looks like you made the holes in the tubing just big enough to hold a 1 inch (or 1.5 inch rockwool cube in place. I like that idea, eliminating baskets and more growing medium. The only thing I would be worried about is if it choked off the base of the plant if they grew wider than the hole. Any issues with that? Are the end caps removable for cleaning the inside of the tubes?
they are 2 inch holes and I am using small plastic coffee cups that I brought at the supermarket for like 2 dollars for 100, cant buy rockwool here, the holes do look smaller in the picture than they actually are.

Yeah the endcaps screw off, I tried to make the whole thing as easy as possible to maintain, at the other end I have cheap irrigation valves so I can turn off each pipes, unscrew the bulkhead fitting and lift the pipe out to clean or fix.

I have reciently taped over the clear bits of piping so no more algae, damn stuff grows anywhere.