Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

baking soda instead

Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 AM

Default baking soda instead

Ron, I have read your entries on using baking soda for a basic PH raiser. I have also read the Howard M. Resh book, and I have been using his suggestion of the baking soda instead of the $25.00 gallon KOH dilluted solution from hydro store. I'm pretty sure thats what it is. My question is, since you do large scale systems, have you tried this. Have you had any long term side effects. I grow tomatoes using Hydro-gardens 4-18-38 chem grow + epsom salt+ cal nitrate powered mixes. This saves me a lot of money and seems to work better than the liquid solutions, that I've tried. The liquid solutions seem to be very weak in most areas of N-P-K. I've read that you like Formula one A and B, Isn't that very expensive for you? Better be one damn good tomatoe! Sam sgolwala@hotmail.com

Old 02-12-2009, 07:58 AM

I only used Formula One for one season until I realized it cost me a fortune and switch to the same you are using. I haven't used baking soda for pH control because my well water is close to perfect after I add the nutrients.