Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

TDS meter or EC meter?

Old 01-30-2009, 03:28 AM

Default TDS meter or EC meter?

Question: Which is better for figuring out strength of solution? TDS meter or EC meter? I'm just
about to get started growing tomatoes and maybe a few other veggies (might even try a few herbs,
don't know yet). I'm going to use a Floating Bed aerated solution system in old aquariums, growing
indoors in CA. I can't stand the flavor (or lack there of) of store bought tomatoes!!!! Using an
aerated solution method, it seems like solution strength should be more of a concern than in other
systems. True? -LehzGo@juno.com

Old 01-30-2009, 03:29 AM

I think they are one and the same. Kind of like that watts and volts thing. Electrical conductivity (EC)
measures the total dissolved solutes (TDS) in your solution.but does not differentiate among the
various elements so while your EC may be correct the elements may be out of balance. That's why
you should change your solution every 4 or 5 weeks and more often if you suspect it is out of whack.
nutrient solution strength should be the same with your method as with other hydro systems.
Ron