Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

What are your main difficulties with water in hydroponics?

Old 05-17-2019, 04:10 AM

Default What are your main difficulties with water in hydroponics?

Hello, I am a middle school student researching hydroponics for a school project. I was wondering what types of problems you have had with your water system. I have researched hydroponics and have some information on water, filters, and temperature. I was wondering what your real-world experiences are and some of your main challenges with water.

Thanks!

Old 05-23-2019, 04:51 PM

I used to worry about high water temps when I first started but not anymore. I’ve grown large healthy great tasting tomatoes with reservoir water temps as high as 85 degrees and as low as 45 degrees with no problem. I put screens to catch and prevent dead broken roots or any other type matter that would drain back into the reservoir and possibly clog the pump.

Always need to test ph levels every 2nd or 3rd day depending on how good the water in Any given area.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:57 PM

Default Possible problems with water...

Hey there, I'm about a year into this hydroponics stuff (see in this blog "http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4344). So far my biggest issue as far as water goes was volume. With only four Dutch buckets, and a 55 gallon drum "in ground", I'm having to add on average 25 gallons of nutrient every 5 days. My last add, after 5 days of low 90's, was 40 gallons. I'm using two 1 gallon frozen jugs per day to keep the reservoir temp under 80 f. BUT.... tomatoes are still coming, easily over a hundred pounds of fruit so far. Hope that info helps...