Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Anyone Grown Rhubarb?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:05 AM

Default Anyone Grown Rhubarb?

Thinking of trying to grow Rhubarb as a annual here, any grown it before, really nothing online about it at all. Best system to use?

Old 11-14-2009, 08:59 AM

Well I guess I am the first here seedings up in 5 days, going to growing some in NFT and some in DWC, will let you know how things go.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:27 AM

Going great guns, will get around to a write up and some pics either here or on a site I am building, flood and drain is the best method out of drip, flood and drain and deep water culture. Am also going to experiement over summer (when it is to hot for them here) and will put a few of them in the deep freeze for a month to induce dormancy.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:17 PM

I like to see pics.....
Old 03-14-2010, 07:30 AM

I think I am going to have to make another flood and drain table within the week, had them all on one table a couple of weeks ago, now they are on two but have now out grown that one as well, they are under shade cloth already as 2 weeks ago we had a 25c (77f) degree day and I believe it is around that temperature that they stop growing and start sulking, although the last week and a bit it has been much cooler and rainy.

Last edited by GGM; 05-20-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:59 AM

they look great!!! first time I see that plant, that's a vegetable fruit or leaves like lettuce?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardomachado View Post
they look great!!! first time I see that plant, that's a vegetable fruit or leaves like lettuce?
Yeah the stuff isn't very popular or even known in warm climate countries. Its a vegatable that is eaten as a fruit, it is very sour and taste bad without adding sugar, but stewed and eaten with cream it taste like pure awesomeness You eat the stalks, the leaves are somewhat poisonous (oxalic acid ).
Old 03-14-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Its a vegatable that is eaten as a fruit, it is very sour and taste bad without adding sugar
Ya, I don't use it much myself (if at all), even though you can get it in the stores here year round. I also don't know any recipes for it (though they wouldn't be hard to find), I know it best for Rhubarb pie. When I see it in the stores it looks like red celery stalks, though I have never had any experience in preparing it (much less growing it). But it's certainly interesting to see how it grows, and what the plant looks like. I guess it's one of these under appreciated, misunderstood foods.